Magic Mouse = awesome

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Michael CM1, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Just wanted to let any of you considering buying one that the Magic Mouse rocks! I have one of the Mighty Meeses from a while back and had the legendary problem of gunk keeping the scrolling from working. Well, there's no place for gunk to go on this thing. It's made of a lot more metal on the bottom, and the top surface feels a lot like the new MBP trackpad. The buttons are the same as the Mighty Mouse, but the scrolling works anywhere on the mouse surface. My dad got a new iMac and didn't really care to use it. Win for me.

I will warn you to test one if you don't think you'll like a very thin mouse. This is maybe as thick as a deck of cards. It's probably more like half a deck.

2. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

+1

After hearing all the negative comments, I was concerned. But after using the Magic Mouse for a couple of weeks, I find it very comfortable and efficient. It also works on pretty much any surface I've tried it on like a blanket or clothing.

Mind you, I was coming from an unscrollable wired mouse from my old G5, so it's a quantum leap in usablilty.

3. btownguy macrumors 6502a

I'll get one as soon as Apple provides a way to natively invoke expose.

4. GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

I have to admit, I really enjoy the Magic Mouse, especially with the Better Touch Tool software. Its great for everyday basic use. Now, if I had to use it at work, I would probably shoot myself.

5. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

Save the wait and just hit the F9 key.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

its a great mouse to surf to web, since you can do a lot of scrolling.

7. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

It obviously isn't an Apple method, but there is an application called BetterTouchTool that works seemlessly with the Magic Mouse and my MacBook that enables you activate Expose, Spaces and just about anything that you could possibly assign to a keyboard shortcut.

Developer's Blog Link

I was a little concerned when I downloaded it and how it would work, but it is customizable to the point where it will launch itself automatically upon startup and will run with no menu-bar icon or dock icon.

8. mingoglia macrumors 6502

I too was concerned. I didn't like installing third party software to control a mouse. To my surprise the Better Touch Tool truly feels like the application Apple should have released with their magic mouse. I couldn't be happier and it really takes the mouse from good to excellent. My favorite gesture I added was a 3 finger click which brings up Spaces.

9. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

Agree - this is a good upgrade and worth it. I use it with BTT as well.

10. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

That's the bulk of what I do, and scrolling is a major need. At work, we have Classic apps, and it SUCKS not being able to use a mouse to scroll. I bought a Mighty Mouse on eBay for $25 to use for the stuff we do in OS X, but that's only half of what we do. Ugh, I hate when companies can't splurge enough to upgrade software once a decade. We're a newspaper and on Quark 4. Give me a break.

11. milton.sheaf macrumors regular

I'll buy one when they sell a wired version. I hate wireless accessories.

12. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

I'd be surprised if they did make one. It seems that they've been moving away from wires. Also, the front of the mouse is pretty thin for wire.

But, one never knows.

13. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

Why???? Aside from having to replace a battery, I don't see the drawback. I bought a bunch of AA rechargables for all of my wireless stuff. They don't last as long as the AA made for electronics, but it only takes 15 minutes to recharge. In all seriousness, I want to know what other drawback there is to a wireless peripheral like that.

14. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

If you get made and throw your mouse the wireless will fly farther.

15. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

that BetterTouchTool is unbelievable. Makes the Magic Mouse much more magical :) I use it for tap-to-click and three-finger expose swipes.

16. TheAshMan macrumors regular

I have to disagree on the MM.

I love Apple products, but I'm sorry, if you have to use it for work 8 hours a day it is not a good product. Of course there are exceptions and some people (on this post) will love it, but for most people this is a badly designed tool. It's too bad, because it is a great innovation. I got one with a 27" Mac at work and despite it's great functionality, it is the worst mouse I have ever used solely because it is so ergonomically incorrect and uncomfortable to use. Sadly this thing reminds me of the hockey puck mouse from the first iMacs. I love the way it works, but it feels like it was designed for aliens. A mouse is simply a tool and should feel good in your hand. This is like the best hammer ever, but the handle is a pencil.

The Good

The vertical scrolling and momentum on web pages and applications (like the Outlook inbox in a VM) is phenomenal and performs better than one would expect. It is fast, smooth, and responsive, yet is still precise. The scroll functionality is way better than a scroll wheel on a typical mouse, no grinding noise and much better. This particular feature is a great innovation. It's like using your iPhone to control your app windows.

The Bad

To use it you essentially have to place your hand flat or grasp it with the tips of your fingers to move it around. I have hand pain just using it after a few days. If you think the Mighty Mouse is uncomfortable and feels bad to your hand, wait until you try this thing. My hands are pretty average or slightly more than, so I am physically a mainstream user.

It is wireless only, so you also have to worry about another battery in your life.

More

If they would just make it much more rounded so it actually felt comfortable for the palm of my hand it WOULD be a wonderful device. Perhaps they can't do that and have the touch scroll which is why it is so flat. The "journalists" who gave this thing glowing reviews when it first came out have no excuse, it is immediately apparent when using this thing that it is a poorly designed device from the ergonomic perspective which supersedes the otherwise great functionality. Several other employees here have had the same reaction to it and I have yet to see anyone like this after the first 10 minutes. Replacing it with a cheap HP USB mouse felt like a Godsend.
    Too bad.

17. theARNSKI macrumors regular

I've been considering buying one as of lately.

Been reading reviews and watching videos of it and the more I read/watch, especially with all your positive comments, the more I want to go out and purchase one!

It's fairly inexpensive, too, for a mouse with such capabilities.

18. TheAshMan macrumors regular

Most of the time wireless is great, unless you have to do work and your battery is dead. I don't have time to wait around because I forgot to charge or change. The issue is simplifying versus complicating your life. Batteries complicate, whereas wired, I plug it in and forget it forever.

I have tried wireless a number of times, but there is nothing like after rebooting your computer and occasionally having to sit there and wait a minute for your computer to recognize the device. It happens too regularly. Makes no difference whether it is Mac or PC. Technology is supposed to make life easier.

19. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

You make fair points and there are probably people for which this mouse doesn't work. I use at least 8 hrs / day for work as well and my it did take a couple of days for my hand/wrist to get used to it.

The position my hand is in is exactly the same position as if I were typing -- sort of cupped. So, my hand doesn't rest on the entire mouse like it did with my logitech but I got used to that pretty quickly.

For me a slight change of hand position took out any negative and brought the positives. I'm hardly a fanboy but I do enjoy this mouse.

20. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I love the multitouch feature on the mouse but what I don't like is the damn low profile the mouse has.

You have to grip the mouse with your thumb and ring finger, and even like that you can't get a good grip since there's no meat to grab a hold of.

21. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I agree for general use it's ok but if I have to do any drawing it sucks. it also looks like one of the feminine products that are shown curve on a box but in reverse.

22. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Anyone that liked the shape of the mighty mouse should go ahead and get the MM, you will love it.

Myself, mine is sitting in the box that came with the 27" imac, for me the MM has zero ergonomics (i have big hands) and I cannot stand using the MM having used a logitech for so long.

If your used to using an ergonomic mouse, beware, the MM is awesome design, but you might very well struggle to use it for actual productive work purposes.

23. MH01 Suspended

MH01

lol if only it had a vibrate function...

24. TheAshMan macrumors regular

Some people definitely do enjoy it, I don't argue that and it is perfect for them. My point is that this is Apple's mainstream peripheral and it is not for most people, same as their other mice. Almost everyone here at my work that has a Mac (about 500 or so) I rarely see someone using whatever Apple mouse came with their machine. I used the Mighty Mouse for a while, but I knew that was bad for my hand. Just something you notice after 20 years of working with computers. We purchased 8 Magic Mice for our group here for people to test out and after 30 days only 1 person is still using it and that he admits is only because it is on a second machine. In our small test, Apple is 0 for 8 among Mac partisans that have to work on their machines. That must indicate something.

25. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

Just out of curiosity -- could it be related more to type of work being performed on the machine? Ie, are you guys graphic artists, etc. I'm just a lowly sales and marketing person. What I do doesn't need to be done on a Mac though it's a lot more fun this way. As a matter of fact, I'm one of only a few people of ~40 or so that uses a Mac.