Magic Mouse: Batteries and tips?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tander, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

Hey guys,

So a few weeks ago my girlfriend bought me a Magic Mouse. :cool:

Since then, when ever I have finished using it - I just put it away in my bag and forget about it. However I found the original batteries died within three weeks. :(

Is this 'normal' for the MM or was it due to not turning it off when not using it for extended periods of time?

Thanks guys.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Seems a likely candidate.

3. Tander thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tander

The manual did say not to turn the mouse off / on and it goes into 'sleep' when not used. Is this not the way forward?

4. Ifti macrumors 68000

It does go to sleep when not in use, but the slightest movement will switch it on again. Whenever I dont use mine I always switch it off - my batteries last me for months on end - in fact I cant remember the last time I changed them!! (Duracell Procell)

5. -MRB macrumors 6502

I've just got one myself & plan to only switch it off when in transit with my MBP or when it's not needed (light browsing etc)

6. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Try rechargeable batteries I use them in my trackpad so I don't have to worry about buying new ones at least

7. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

Rechargeables are definitely the way to go here. The Apple battery charger is great. Aways keeps a spare set ready to go and you just swap em when you get the "Your mouse has less than xx% charge left" message.

http://www.apple.com/battery-charger/

8. richard13 macrumors 6502a

If you leave the mouse alone it will go to sleep. If you putting it in the bag and carrying it around with you you are likely waking it up and draining your batteries. In this case, switch it off. If it is just sitting on your desk it's best to leave it switched on.

I agree with the others about using rechargeable batteries. I use Duracell Rechargeable 1.2v 2000mAh AA for my Magic Mouse, Wireless Keyboard, etc. They are very good and don't lose much charge when in storage. You can get the batteries and charger at places like Target. I had tried the Energizer rechargeable batteries years ago and they were just horrible. Didn't keep a charge, ran down quickly. They might have gotten better by now but I'm happy with the Duracell batteries so no reason to change.

9. hankdesign macrumors member

10. Tander thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tander

Thanks for the tips, guys.

I put in a new-ish set of Duracell batteries in yesterday. I have since been turning the mouse off, every time I transport it.

Will see how long this set last.

I will look into rechargeable's, too. :cool: