Magic mouse battery at 10% after 16 days ?!?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by slo-climber, Apr 24, 2014.

1. slo-climber macrumors member

16 days ago I bought rMBP with Magic mouse. Today, it's battery level is at 10%. Is this normal? Do I really have to change batteries in the mouse every 3 weeks?

PS: I was not turning the mouse off during the night or when I didn't use my mac.

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I use rechargeables, turn it off 5pm-9am and weekends and yes I charge the batts approx monthly....

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I use alkaline AA and leave it on all the time. Current set have been in place for over a month and showing 100%.

4. andeify, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014

andeify macrumors 6502

andeify

+1 dont turn it off. I use duracel batteries. good quality ones last longer than cheapos, i bought a stack of cheap batterys and i went through them in no time

With light use and good heavy batteries i get 3-4 months

5. eneisch macrumors 6502a

Approximately how many hours per day are you using the magic mouse? My usage is very light (maybe an hour a day) and I never turn it off. The battery lasted about 3 months for me.

6. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

If you use it a lot, that sounds reasonable. I'll second what someone else said, use Duracell. I use Duracell and it lasts forever.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like you are a fairly heavy user like me... that's about what I get.

Get yourself some a pack of these Eneloop rechargeables with the charger for $18 and you will never buy any more batteries. These work great for me.

8. joebingo macrumors newbie

Buy pro cells, they're the same as duracell ultra but a pack of 10 costs the same as a pack of 4 duracell ultra.

The Magic Mouse does tend to eat up batteries a little though. Turn it off when you're not using it, but you'll still go through the things.

9. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

+1 for the Eneloops. I've been rolling with them since my first Magic Mouse in 2009 and also get about 3 weeks to a month per fully charged set. Why throw away batteries? It seems to me to be economically, not to mention environmentally, wasteful.

10. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I usually swap out the batteries in the both our mice once a month and rotate them through the charger. It takes maybe 5 minutes time. The charger takes a few hours to recharge a battery set. We never bother to turn the mice off.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

FWIW, my batteries tend to last a month or two - I really don't keep track.

I use the mouse 6 days a week as I work from home most days, and the mouse lasts a long time on a single set