Magic Mouse Battery Does Not Last 4 Months

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Prabz26, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Prabz26 macrumors regular

Prabz26

So, it's been exactly one month that I've used my magic mouse
    and it died out already

Has anyone else experience this?
    I was under the impression this mouse was great on battery,
    correct me if i'm wrong but I read it can last up to 4 months on a
    single set of double A batteries?

So now I am going to get some new rechargeable batteries.
    What are a good kind to get that last pretty long?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The battery life will depend on how much you use it. If you use it for eight hours a day, seven days a week, it is going to have a shorter life than someone who uses it for an hour or two a day.

3. Prabz26 thread starter macrumors regular

Prabz26

but I feel like I barley used it
    probably 4 hours a day
    considering im at school for 8 hours

and then on top of that when i leave for long period of time
    i switch it off

any good rechargeable battery suggestions?

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Well, Apple's numbers will be on very casual usage, so it is not uncommon to see such a discrepancy. As for the rechargeable batteries, according to the Amazon reviews, Sanyo eneloop appear to be the best rated. The price for them isn't bad either at just under $17.

5. Prabz26 thread starter macrumors regular

Prabz26

Never heard of those batteries
    but there a great price I'll get them if I can find them

6. gjw4u macrumors 6502

OP, I believe GP, Varta, & Duracell make decent NiMH batteries. Just make sure you also get a good charger for them batteries.

7. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Don't alkaline batteries last longer that a charge of a recyclable one for a device like a mouse,

And if you have to get a new battery every couple of months it's only like 2-3 cents a day.

8. sbondi macrumors newbie

Same deal for me ... 1 month instead of 4 :( I use it a lot, but I did not expect it to run out this soon.

In any case, aside from battery life, this is the best mouse I have ever used. Far better than uni-directional scroll wheels, bi-directional scroll wheels, or even track balls (like the one on the Mighty Mouse).

9. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Maybe if you don't actually use it at all they will last that long :D

I use mine maybe 3-4 hours a day, I would guess the batteries last for maybe 6 weeks or so.

EDIT: Oops, mine is a 'mighty' mouse, not a magic one. Though I'd think you'd need magic to have the batteries last 4 months.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Probably, but rechargeable ones last for a lot more cycles, so all-in-all they are cheaper and they are also better for the environment.

11. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I have the Magic Mouse, got it on October 30 or abouts.

So it's been a month and a half, I use it everyday for hours.

It's at 25% right now, so I am guessing about 2 months would be a reasonable expectation.

12. madog macrumors 65816

madog

When to use rechargeable batteries, energizer vs. duracell. Sanyo Eneloops aren't listed, but do a search at any tech site or on Google and you will find only good things about them.

This iMac I'm on is on for about 10 hours a day, and used intermittently (display). Both the keyboard and the (magic) mouse are at 81%. Have had it for at least a month now.

13. Alan64 macrumors member

Mine just died yesterday. I have an i5 that I bought right when they became available in the retail stores, so I guess that's 6 weeks ago. I've been using the computer a lot, because I love it, but even so that's not very long. No big deal though. I've already got good rechargable batteries so I just put in a pair.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

15. Jackal168 macrumors newbie

hey guys sorry just new here. and new to apple. is the magic mouse have the same side buttons like the mighty mouse? if the magic mouse dnt have these side buttons what will I do to the magic mouse to have that side button function? thanks.

16. zeeflyboy macrumors regular

no it doesn't have those buttons...

download better touch tool and you can make the magic mouse do pretty much whatever functions you want. I have kept mine simple and set it so that 2 fingers up clears the windows to leave the desktop and two fingers down brings up all windows expose... but there's loads more you can do.

As for the OP - my magic mouse has already gone through a set of batteries, lasted about a month... bit crap really. I have a logitech media mouse about a year ago that lasted for like 6 months on a set of batteries.

Next time i'll chuck in some duracell lithiums and see how they fare.

17. Jackal168 macrumors newbie

where can I download these tools?

18. mstrze macrumors 68000

Rechargeables are good in many ways, but I found that I had worse performance from them....and not measured in hours or days, but WEEKS.

With typical alkalines, I can get around 2 months, a lithium battery like E^2 3-4 months (they are designed for applications like this and hold a charge far longer) but my Energizer NiMH rechargables lasted 3-4 weeks tops.

I highly recommend a Lithium battery like E^2 (e-squared) from Energizer. They are not rechargable, but last a heck of a lot longer than any other battery in electronics like this.

EDIT: I have an old-school Mighty Mouse

19. Tronic macrumors 6502

Tronic

Sanyo eneloop are the only rechargeable batteries i use for all of my photography equipment plus all of my other electronics. But make sure you purchase a quality charger like a Lacrosse or you will be throwing money down the drain each time you recharge them.

20. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

My wireless mouse lasts about 2-3 months. I use Duracell rechargeable batteries in the mouse, but I also like Sanyo Eneloop batteries. The problem with these wireless devices is that they were intended more for the casual clicker, not for someone who does a lot of click-drag-hold operations. That's why I prefer non-wireless devices. I really hate it when my mouse quits unexpectedly in the middle of a job.

21. zeeflyboy macrumors regular

http://blog.boastr.net/

forgot to say, I also added the ability for a tap on the left to act as a left click, and a tap on the right to act as a right click... so now I don't need to physically click the mouse unless dragging - it works wonderfully and feels very intuitive.

22. ericw27 macrumors newbie

My 1st ones lasted 2 weeks and I have just had to change again after another 7 weeks. Not long but I guess 7 weeks will do as the Mouse is superb. Far better than any other mouse I have tried.:

23. maghemi macrumors 6502

Wow, these things must really suck down the power. I've been using a Logitech MX600 mouse and the batteries in that are still the same ones as 6 months ago. And I use it 4-6hours daily, often with very spirited use in games.

I like this magic mouse but I think I'll keep the Logitech hooked up for gaming and the like.

I've only just got my magic mouse so I can't comment on its battery life yet.