Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jerwin

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 13, 2015
Hi, I picked up an iMac retina the Saturday before Memorial day, and although it's an improvement over my old iMac 9,1 in every respect, the magic mouse eats batteries. Any suggestions on a long term solution?

I'm using it on a white desk, if the problem is related to the mouse not going to sleep. I had a mouse pad, but the feel of the mouse gliding over the roughened surface was all wrong, so I started using the mouse without the pad.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
How long are your batteries lasting? I'm a very heavy user and get a couple weeks or so out of a set. I bought some of the Panasonic Eneloop rechargeables and just use those now.

jerwin

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 13, 2015
Well, Ive had to change batteries twice, and I got it on the 23rd of May, so I'd say "less than a fortnight"

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
I also use the highly rated Panasonic Eneloop. I get a month, but probably not a heavy user. I never turn mouse off.

frankdogg

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
253, WA
i use my mouse to game (not the greatest mouse for gaming but I'm not serious about it) and it last a good couple of weeks, maybe longer?

if its not going to sleep b/c of the desk color, i would look into a gaming mouse pad. those are very thin w/ a great surface feel. check em out maybe at a local best buy or frys.

jerwin

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 13, 2015
OK. I'll look into a gaming pad. Ask for gaming with this mouse-- I tried booting up some of my old games (Call of Duty II) and seeing how absurd they looked in 5k--and the touch to scroll functionality really threw me off.
No, I didn't want to switch to smoke grenades!

I suppose it will take some editing of my settings files.

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
It just depends on your usage. Use Eneloop batteries. On my main desktop machine, the batteries last 1 week to 10 days. For my MacBook Pro, which while it is on my desk it has a MM, otherwise trackpad for mobile, they'll go a month or two or three.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.