Magic Mouse Battery Life?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DougY, Feb 6, 2010.

1. DougY macrumors 6502

Ive noticed that the battery life on the Magic Mouse is not that great. Do you turn off your MM each night?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I read you don't need to turn it off as it goes into some sort of standby mode. This could be wrong. My first set of batteries lasted about 5 weeks I think. It feels with the new eneloop batteries I use that I get a little less, hence the decision to go with rechargeable.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'd expect it'd be close to any other wireless mouse. though it probably also says on apple's website and Google/Mac Rumours.

4. kinwashkly macrumors newbie

mINE HAS LASTED ABOUT 6 WEEKS

5. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

Mine's at 92%, I've had it for about a month or so. But I only use it at night, and not every day.

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

And how much do you use it?

7. njvan macrumors member

The batteries that came with the mouse lasted 1 month and 1 day. I switched to Lithium-ions to see how much longer I can get out of it.

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'm a bit confused... Do you use like AA or AAA batteries for the magic mouse? Or is it a built in battery? And can you charge it via the computer without having to take the batteries out...?

9. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

it's not a usb mouse, it's bluetooth, so no you can't charge it via any cord. it uses 2 AA's.

10. TDHXXX macrumors regular

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Gotcha, thanks! And I assume the same goes for the Apple wireless keyboards?:rolleyes:

12. JMartin23 macrumors member

anyone try to update this using the bluetooth wireless keyboard? It says "No aluminum Apple Keyboards were found. Please make sure your keyboard is connected and turned on, and run this installer again." for me. Any idea what to do?

Also, my magic mouse battery life is not good. i'm on my third set of batteries since December.

13. RooDBwoY macrumors newbie

i'm on about week 9 after receiving my new 21.5" imac and both keyboard and mouse show 66% remaining on original batteries and i never switch them off.

it gets used daily (usually all evening).

14. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

Not related to battery life, but didn't think it needed it's own thread, but is the mouse meant to be so loud when clicking? It's very annoying...

15. PeckhamBog macrumors 6502

PeckhamBog

Try using ear plugs. You might need to turn up the speakers on your Mac to compensate.

16. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

yup.

OFFTOPIC:

What mouse pads are you guys using with your magic mice?

17. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

Why didn't I think of that :rolleyes:

I've got a standard black oval type pad with a gel wrist support. It's tres comfortable, however, I had to increase the mouse speed because I couldn't get all the way across the screen LOL

18. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I got one of them too :D

19. knewsom macrumors 6502a

20. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

I have some of the circular IKEA mouse pads, and they are fine with my MBP but I have a feeling I'm going to need more space with the 27, even at full speed (and no, I don't want to use any of those third party apps to increase speed). I can't use my desk because it's glass and it's a hassle to even move the mouse across it.

Any suggestions?

21. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I've been using mine heavily (7 hours a day) for 5 days now and it's at 98%. When I walk away from my iMac, I always put it to sleep...

Bryan

22. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

23. Nihilvor macrumors member

My mouse lasted about 10 days (with only 5 hours of use a day). I replaced it with a cheap recyclable that I had on hand, and it's lasted at least that long (has a ways to go). I've been turning it off at night, which may account for the extended life this time around.

However, I also bought a refurbished machine, so who knows what the batteries were subjected to before I received the machine.