Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R3DH3R0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
I just noticed this tonight, I was changing the batteries in my Magic Mouse and the Plastic Rails had eraser like shavings coming off of it. It wasn't a lot, and they just wiped right off. But is it normal for the plastic rails to wear like this?

Oh, I am using a mouse pad, it's a firm one, like plastic.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
The plastic rails will wear down over time. Usually more pronounced at the ends of each rail.

randomerratum

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
Look closer,
it may not be shavings of the rails themselves but stuff that it's collected from weeks of rubbing around.

I recently changed my batteries and was surprised by all the different crap it seems to have hanging off it considering how clean I keep my table.

R3DH3R0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Look closer,
it may not be shavings of the rails themselves but stuff that it's collected from weeks of rubbing around.

I recently changed my batteries and was surprised by all the different crap it seems to have hanging off it considering how clean I keep my table.

My desk and mousepad are pretty clean. When I slide my finger on the plastic rail, the plastic was pealing, or shaving. It definitely wasn't from anything else.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
The plastic does wear down over time. I've had my mouse for about a year now, but the wear is only minimal so it's nothing to worry about. Dirt and dust from the oil on your hands does make its way down there though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.