Magic Mouse Bottom Plastic Rails

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by R3DH3R0, Nov 11, 2010.

1. R3DH3R0 macrumors regular

I just noticed this tonight, I was changing the batteries in my Magic Mouse and the Plastic Rails had eraser like shavings coming off of it. It wasn't a lot, and they just wiped right off. But is it normal for the plastic rails to wear like this?

Oh, I am using a mouse pad, it's a firm one, like plastic.

2. R3DH3R0 thread starter macrumors regular

3. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

The plastic rails will wear down over time. Usually more pronounced at the ends of each rail.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

no it is not normal. The only wear you would see on them is them getting shiny.

5. randomerratum macrumors 6502

Look closer,
    it may not be shavings of the rails themselves but stuff that it's collected from weeks of rubbing around.

I recently changed my batteries and was surprised by all the different crap it seems to have hanging off it considering how clean I keep my table.

6. R3DH3R0 thread starter macrumors regular

My desk and mousepad are pretty clean. When I slide my finger on the plastic rail, the plastic was pealing, or shaving. It definitely wasn't from anything else.

7. John T macrumors 68020

John T

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

The plastic does wear down over time. I've had my mouse for about a year now, but the wear is only minimal so it's nothing to worry about. Dirt and dust from the oil on your hands does make its way down there though.

9. gnychis macrumors 6502

mine seems to have held strong after 6 months of use

10. R3DH3R0 thread starter macrumors regular

But I like my vintage Apple mousepad :[ O well, I have a cheap cloth one somewhere, I'll have to find it or buy a new one.