Magic Mouse BT issues

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Pagemakers, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

I have several Magic Mice and they all work fine APART from on my Mac Pro 2009.

On these machines their movement is jerky and they keep losing connection.

I have tried everything!

So I went out an bought a BT dongle (Sitecom) and it works perfectly.

However, as soon as I re-boot the Mac does not recognise the BT dongle and the mouse stops working. I then have to remove and re-insert the dongle and re-establish a connection with the mouse.

Any ideas how I can keep the BT dongle recognised when the system re-boots.

I did not install any BT drivers with the dongle.

2. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

3. c0052350 macrumors member

get the belkin mini

hi there

i have a belkin in my mac pro 2007 and it works fine only issue being mac wont sleep in snow leopard.
    The belkin i use is the mini variant pc world sell it for about £10

4. promoose macrumors newbie

I have had trouble on my Pro, including occasional drops, and dropping into expose when I try to right click. Quitting the Magic Menu seems to have cleared it up.

Have you tried using one of your other mice with your Pro? Also, try using it closer to your CPU, and see if that helps; there has been some question as to the range of the Magic Mouse.

5. noushy macrumors regular

Problems with BT Magic Mouse

I had the same problem with one of my BT magic mice. I had originally replaced the batteries with Energizer lithium cells, and then every so often the BT mouse would disconnect and reconnect. Not sure if it had anything to do with the batteries, but first switch them to a set of standard alkalines (if not already). I ended up having my mouse exchanged, and all is well now. No problems at all with connecting, and my MP sits underneath a big desk.

Peace,
    Noushy

6. ooninay macrumors member

I don't have an answer for you but just to let you know I have the same problem here with Mac Pro 2009 and Magic Mouse. Magic Mouse works perfectly with MacBook Pro but jerky as all hell on Mac Pro. Returned Mac Pro several times to Apple store to fix flakey Bluetooth; each time they said it was "fixed" but within minutes the problem re-emerged, no better than before--even in the Apple Store! Finally just gave up although I probably should have asked for my money back. There are well-documented problems with this series of Mac Pro's Bluetooth (in this forum and elsewhere). I finally bought a Belkin bluetooth adapter which works just fine, but like you, if the machine sleeps or is shut down, the Magic Mouse won't work again until it is repaired, which means plugging in a wired mouse just to do the repairing. I don't sleep my Mac any more because it's too much trouble to have to do this after coming back to it. I'll be monitoring this thread to see if anyone has a solution.

7. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

I have a few MacBook Pros and iMacs here and the Magic Mouse works perfectly on them. Move it to my Mac Pro and it’s AWFUL. The mouse is only 6 feet from the base and it’s still awful.

The BT dongle fixes the problem immediately but when I re-boot the BT dongle is not recognised. This is my problem and the issue I need to find a fix for...

8. noushy macrumors regular

Sleep issues

Also, there is some sort of sleep issue with BT and the Mac Pro. Every so often, the mouse becomes disconnected and then reconnects when the system sleeps. For a while I had the original mighty mouse wired connected just for this problem, but lately my BT magic mouse seems to behave. My system is about 4 feet away but under a wooden desk. Not sure if this has anything to do with it. Certainly the BT antenna in the Mac Pro sucks. No questions about that.

Peace,
    Noushy

9. nobblynoel macrumors member

I have spent hours on the net trying to find answers to the magic mouse and mac pro 2009 problem>
    The answer comes down to the antenna placement and metal case .
    In simple terms the antenna DOES NOT WORK Unless your mouse is next to your case.

I also added a bluetooth usb adaptor and the mouse worked fine but every time I rebooted I had to switch the mouse off then on and wait about 2 minutes.
    One way around this is to disconnect the bluetooth module located on the motherboard. To do this you need to remove the processor tray and you will see a small raised circuit board about 1 inch long. On the right is 1 cable which goes to the antenna and on the left a plug with several wires is the one you need to remove from the board.

The better solution

Which I'm waiting for my ordered bits to arrive is to order a U.Fl to RP-SMA cable and a wifi antenna> total cost about £10
    The modification is to disconnect the original bluetooth antenna which is a U-FL connector, connect my new U-FL cable, Drill a hole in a spare PCI blank and add the RP-SMA connect to the blank, then connect the wifi antenna at the back of the case. This should give me mega bluetooth distance and let me use the original mac pro bluetooth without a usb adaptor.

When the parts arrive which should be very soon I will write a proper post with pictures.

10. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

I had originally added a D-Link bluetooth adapter (usb) to my keyboard to fix this issue, but it took more than 3 times as long for my 2006 mac pro to boot! booting in verbose mode showed me a message about duplicate bluetooth device errors and so on.

I eventually solved the problem by switching my mac pros internal bluetooth antenna from the wire labeled "BT" to the one labeled "1" and all has been perfect ever since!

11. nobblynoel macrumors member

Yes thats true that the older ones had a problem with wires crossed and idented wrong which was fixed by swapping wires but in the 2009 model you can't just swap wires round.

12. gotzero macrumors 68040

I hope this question is not taken as insulting, but have you run all of your updates?

13. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Yup. I’m fully up to date.

Thanks guys for the info.

“product26” seems to have the simplest solution.

Any idea of a pic to see what I am looking for?

14. nobblynoel macrumors member

Pagemakers you say you have a 2009 mac pro. If this is the case you can't use the swap wire fix to solve your problem this fix only worked for older models.

15. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

so isa there nothing I can do to make my BT USB device get recognised when it reboots?

16. nobblynoel macrumors member

Read my post above. Just disconnect the original bluetooth card on your motherboard. It will take you 2 minutes.. :)

17. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

You are a genius. Now works a dream.

I can believe apple dont acknowledge this as an issue.

18. noushy macrumors regular

Fixing 2009

So let me get this straight, by swapping the antenna wires, you were able to improve reception. But not on a 2009 Mac Pro?

Peace,
    Noushy

19. nobblynoel macrumors member

You got it..
    I'm still waiting for my cable and antenna to arrive. Must be delayed because of the volcano dust.. :D