Magic Mouse clicking gone awry?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JohnHinds, Aug 1, 2010.

1. JohnHinds macrumors newbie

For the past 3 days or so, my Magic Mouse has been very weird about it's clicking. I've been taking it to work with me recently, as the mouse there is an old Apple mouse, on of the round ones, which I can't stand. At one point in the afternoon on Thursday, it died suddenly. I replaced the batteries and it started working fine again.

However, when I took it home that evening and paired it again with my iMac, it moved around fine, and scrolled fine, but refused to click. I tried disconnecting it, changing the batteries again, resetting the iMac's PRAM and SMC, and this morning, I even did an OS restore. Nothing has worked. But it isn't refusing to click universally, just for my iMac at home. I took it back to work on Friday, and while it did refuse to click with the iMac (G5) at first, taking it's batteries out and replacing them got it to click all day, 9 to 5. This leads to believe the thing isn't broken, rather there's something I'm totally missing. What might this be? Or am I wrong, and it needs replacing?

If so, it's still under warranty, as I got it last October. I don't live anywhere near an Apple Store, but I'm flying to New York on Tuesday, and obviously, I'll be around several there. If I need to get it replaced, how do I go about doing that? I've only been in an Apple Store twice, just looking around. Do I have to make a Genius appointment, or just ask one of the guys standing around about it and he'll hook me up, or what? Thanks.

2. Tryx macrumors newbie

Call the apple store (try a day before), you can find the number here use the lookup option on the right, then find your store.

when you find the number, you have to call them, ask to make a genius appointment.

when you get to the store say you have a genius appointment, and then it's easy.