magic mouse constantly losing connection

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TDHXXX, Jun 4, 2010.

1. TDHXXX macrumors regular

Hi all,

I've had my iMac 27" i7 since November '09 and have had no real problems with the magic mouse until today.

It is constantly losing it's connection taking seconds to sometimes minutes to finally re-connect. It's happening while the mouse is idle or while I'm using it (it happened right after I clicked to start this thread in fact!)

Does anyone know anything about this issue or how to rectify it?

Thanks.

2. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Forgive me for asking the obvious, but could it be the battery?

I've found that when using rechargables, my magic mouse starts to die - sometimes allowing me to reconnect a few times - at somewhere around 40 to 50% charge remaining.

3. TDHXXX thread starter macrumors regular

it might be the batteries, but they're ones i've used before and they are not rechargeable or anything.

p.s lost connection twice while typing this.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Although unlikely, it could be interference. You can also try to, via Bluetooth preferences, remove and re-add the Magic Mouse, maybe something got janky with the pairing record...

5. TDHXXX thread starter macrumors regular

well the darn thing died on me today... wouldn't even turn on! i did what you said and removed the pairing and now it's working fine, thanks!

Update
    Scratch that, it just died on me again and won't re-connect!

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Next thing to do is to try pairing with another computer (if you can) or better yet take it to your Apple store/reseller and see if it happens with one their computers as well. This will tell you if the issue is with your Mac or the mouse and if its the mouse they can probably swap it for you in-store.

7. TDHXXX thread starter macrumors regular

i have a feeling that this will be difficult... the mouse won't even turn on! :(

8. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

did you actually change the batteries, too. how old are they?

9. TDHXXX thread starter macrumors regular

brand new, out of the packet.