Magic Mouse cutting out

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mrsir2009, Apr 26, 2011.

1. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Its been running on low battery for ages, and when I went to use it this morning the mouse wouldn't work. I thought this was because the batteries were dead, so I replaced them, and the mouse still wouldn't work. I thought the iMac probably needed to be restarted for the mouse to connect, so I restarted and the mouse worked :)

However after about 10-15 minutes of use the cursor froze and the mouse stopped working! I got a warning on the iMac saying the connection had been lost, and the green light in the underside of the magic mouse was flashing.

So I restarted the iMac and the mouse worked again for 10 minutes, before it happened a second time. And then a third time.

I'm sure the new batteries I put in the magic mouse were good ones because they were brand new, of the same type and the battery level of the mouse says "100%". This is the first time I've replaced the magic mouse batteries since I got the computer (I've replaced the keyboard batteries once and they worked fine).

Anyone got any idea?

2. rtheb macrumors 6502

Did you try removing and re-pairing the (bluetooth) Magic Mouse in System Preferences?

You will probably have to use a USB mouse to get to System Preferences until the Magic Mouse is again paired to the iMac Bluetooth.

3. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah I paired it manually but it didn't work.

4. rtheb macrumors 6502

Try and Repair Permissions in Disk Utility and see if that helps.

Then try to diable Bluetooth and then enable it again.

Then try pairing again.

Also change the batteries for giggles as well! :confused:

5. vasjr macrumors newbie

my mouse was cutting out too. ripped out a small piece of paper, folded it up and stuck in between the batteries and cover. all good now.

6. Dunko27 macrumors newbie

Magic Mouse Cutting Out—Fixed

After about twelve months my MM started playing up. Changed batteries, did all sorts of things. Bought some Apple rechargeable batteries. Problem went away. Wondered why this would happen.

For the first twelve months I used Duracell batteries. Problems started when I started using Eveready Black batteries, which don't last as long (only about three weeks in the MM). I suspect they are possibly underpowered (lower amps than higher quality batteries).

The Apple rechargeables seem to last longer, more like five weeks, than the Blacks. I haven't had any issues with the Apple [​IMG] batteries, except the odd occasion when I don't have a set charged up. Paid AU$39 for six batteries and charger. I think it was good value.

KD