Magic Mouse disappointment

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by CylonGlitch, Jun 16, 2011.

1. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I was really hoping the Lion would bring along a lot better use of the touch features of the Magic Mouse. It has some features, but many that, to me, are missing. I guess I'll still have to use Better Touch Tool (not that it's bad), but I was hoping that Apple would integrate some of those features into the OS itself.

Looks like the Apple Trackpad did get a huge boost though, maybe I'll switch to that.

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Maybe in a post like this you can tell us what are missing in your opinion.

3. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Does seem that Apple is pushing the trackpad as their device to interface with Lion. You'd be smart to make the switch. I did on June 6th. Turned off the Magic Mouse and stuck it in my drawer.

4. DrMedBorn macrumors newbie

Thats bull guys.

Just use BTT or another third pardy program.

5. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I think they are as well, but some people like me still love to use a mouse with their laptop, when I have space. Given that , how much "magic" is expected in the mouse with limited area for gestures?

6. CylonGlitch thread starter macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

There are several gestures that would be helpful but at least have support for more advanced gestures. Sorry, but mobile right now I don't have all the information in front of me. But I think that Lion only has a few gestures. Swipe left or right, up down. Two fingers in both directions. How about pinch or three finger swipes? There is a double two finger click to bring up mission control (doesnt seem to work right now) but nothing for launch pad.

Since the mouse can do just about anything that the track pad can do, why shouldn't the mouse have those functions as well?

7. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

It's a matter of space. The mouse just does not have the room to allow for all the gestures the trackpad has. The mouse can only Swipe between pages, Swipe between Full Screen Apps, or Mission control.

8. smoge macrumors regular

smoge

I what to see a gesture were you have to kiss the mouse to get the mac out of sleep... (joke:D)

9. BLACKFRIDAY macrumors regular

I agree. Magic mouse is very limited.

I don't know why 3 finger gestures are not enabled on the device.

10. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Telling people to switch to the trackpad is futile if they need the precision of a mouse. The surface is big enough for gestures. Heck, it's bigger than an iPhone screen.

11. jojopump macrumors newbie

So there is no way to set up mobile mouse-iPad to manipulate mission control or launch pad?

also how can i slow down the scroll speed?

12. Surely Guest

Surely

It's enabled on my Magic Mouse through BTT.

How hard is it to download it and set it up?:confused:

13. Lepre-con macrumors newbie

To join the move...

I have to agree with others here and say, make the move. I hate track/touch pads. As a IT person, I relied on the precision and ease of a mouse. I switched to a Mac and still hated the touch pad and refused to learn the gestures. Yes, my bad entirely.

Then upgraded to Lion and realized that without the gestures and the trackpad, I would miss out on some of the better features. After a few days of pain, the trackpad actually turned out to be much faster and easier to use than the mouse. My only issue is moving windows between my Macbook and external monitor, it can get tricky.

Make the switch and you'll never use your mouse again.

14. Surely Guest

Surely

Such as......?

15. FieldingMellish Suspended

We've received the middle finger gesture as far as the Magic Mouse is concerned.

16. Tonewheel macrumors 6502a

Worst mouse ever with apps such as Illustrator, InDesign and other Adobe apps. Errant moves on the mouse surface result in the current page jumping off the screen.