Magic Mouse Discoloration & Scratch-ability

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Rashid Alkaabi, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Rashid Alkaabi macrumors member

Hello,

This thread is meant for all of those who take care of their Mac Peripherals in general, and the Magic Mouse in particular. Is it really easy to the Magic Mouse to get scratched? Is the Magic Mouse is easy to get discolored?

Waiting for your experiences!

2. talkingfuture macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

After two months of use I can report some very tiny, fine, almost microscopic lines in the top surface from scrolling. Nothing that you notice without looking extremely closely and far better than I expected it would look after this time. There is absolutely no discoloration whatsoever and wouldn't expect to see any in future.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

There will be some hairline scratches on the top plastic from normal use or wipe downs. The aluminum is pretty resilient and feels really good.

4. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Yesterday I dropped it on my wood floor - the batteries spilled out, but otherwise it was fine. I put it back together, and it works like a charm, as if nothing happened. I'm pretty pleased... seems quite sturdy!

5. Rashid Alkaabi thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all for contributing, that's highly appreciated.

Today I found that InvisibleShiled Inc. have came up with a new protection film for $14.99 and follows the same installation procedure that all other similar products do. The question here does such a film worth this amount of money, I dont know. especially that it's around 11% of the product total price!

Is there anyway to install iPhone screen protectors on the Magic Mouse?

6. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

For the Magic Mouse??? Whatever in the world for??? That's just crazy.

7. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Agreed. I wouldn't bother with something like that for a mouse.

8. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

discoloration? no. scratches? yes.
    you can't see them unless the light hits the mouse the right way and you're specifically looking for them.

i would never waste money on an IS or anything like that for a friggin mouse. even more, the shape is so simple, you could buy cheapo screen protectors at best buy and simply cut your own. but why waste your time/money?

9. Yamcha macrumors 68000

Lame, my magic mouse just started discolouration, ever since I got my lamp.. what has happened is where the scroll area is its a bit black now =(.. stupid mouse, seriously as nice as it looks I would've preferred something that doesn't discolour..

10. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

mark me down as one who thinks it is crazy to get invisible shield for your mouse. Even if it does scratch i wouldn't do it. just like the trackpad, the magic mouse's surface is engineered for your fingers to glide smoothly over it. I think an IS would screw that up.

11. Yamcha macrumors 68000

Anyone know if I can get a replacement for my magic mouse? Its discolouring.. I bought the imac 21.5" on Nov 2009..

12. greg0rn macrumors member

When I received newly refurbished 21.5", my hands were so shaky from excitement that I dropped keyboard. spent quite bit of time looking for damages, but found none. After plugging it in, it worked as if nothing happened.

I think those things are ruggedly built.

13. SgtP3pp3r macrumors member

Yeah, put me down for some discoloration and scratches too.

The top part of the mouse (where i typically scroll) has begun turning a light tan color. It also has a few scratches, but i think im to blame for that.

I travel alot, and need to have my mbp constantly on the move, as well as the magic mouse. So i figured the transparent box it came with would make adequate transport for it. Not a good idea.

Inside the box the mouse has a little wiggle room, and since the compartment in my bag i use to move it around fits it in a vertical position, now the mouse presents wearing on the topmost part where it made contact with the plastic top. So i started packing my screen wipe (the black one with the apple logo that came with the mbp) over the mouse to keep it from getting more scratched... but now its discoloring (well, technically its not DIScoloring since its white, i guess u would say its coloring). I cant help thinking the screen wipe is to blame. It just seems too delicate to just have in my bag without a carry case. Any input on this? Does anyone just throw their magic mouse into their laptop bag and have it in perfect working order?

14. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

After a couple months my magic mouse has some minor surface scratches due to normal use but no discoloration so far.

15. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

My launch day Magic Mouse has gotten a little discolored on the aluminum, basically on the sides where your thumb and pinky finger rest. You can't see it unless you look for it. The white is as white as ever though. Just normal hairline scratches from scrolling and cleaning.