magic mouse: does it work on panther / tiger?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by absynth, Nov 8, 2009.

1. absynth macrumors regular

OK, before i get remarks like: why dont you buy a new mac or upgrade to leopard? i have a mac mini ppc for daily light use that suits my needs just fine.
    Hoewever, since the HDD is pretty filled, upgrading to leopard isnt really an option for me right now.

I'm totally blown away by the new magic mouse but i'm wondering if someone hooked it up to a mac ppc already?

I heard basic functionality works (left click / right click) for windows, so my questions for panther / tiger on ppc are the following:

1. does left / right click work out of the box or do i need another mouse to mount it first?
    2. does scrolling work? I read that with software update 1.0 scrolling worked on windows 7 (under boot camp?)

thanks in advance!

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

As per here
    System Requirements
    Bluetooth-enabled Mac computer
    Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later with Wireless Mouse Software Update 1.0
    Existing keyboard and mouse for setup

Sorry :(

That being said there may be some way to connect it to Tiger and beyond, but they aren't officially supported by Apple.

3. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

The box states that it requires OS X v10.5.8 or higher with Wireless Mouse Software Update 1.0 or OS X v10.6.2. Point and click might work on Tiger or Panther, but I believe to get scrolling and Multi-Touch you would have to have Leopard or Snow Leopard. And Momentum Scrolling doesn't even work in Leopard.

Was beat to it.

4. absynth thread starter macrumors regular

i know the requirements but like i said: did somebody actually hook it up to a ppc mac?
    does it point and click like on windows?

5. Musashi 360 macrumors newbie

I just got mine a couple of days ago, it works great! TRUE, momentum scrolling is not available out of the box, but it can be enabled via the command line. I do not know if it works on tiger, since im running leopard 10.5.8 on my 2.0 ghz G5 PPC, so if your question is if it works on PPC, I'd say, YES, as long as you have leopard (I might be wrong though, perhaps it also works on tiger as well, not sure) Fell free to correct me if I'm wrong!

6. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

PPC is fine, assuming it's running Leopard. The requirements simply state the OS that's needed; architecture isn't listed (or important). Now, we just need someone who purchased a Magic Mouse for their Leopard system to test it out on Tiger/Panther/etc.
    I don't think there's any reasonable reason for Apple to restrict the Mouse to a specific OS beyond the desire to force us to upgrade. I mean, we have scrolling trackpads, this isn't particularly different.

7. leopolis macrumors newbie

Magic Mouse on Tiger

"Now, we just need someone who purchased a Magic Mouse for their Leopard system to test it out on Tiger/Panther/etc."

Magic Mouse was an impulse purchase at the local Mac Store. Didn't have my reading glasses, so missed the fine print.

On OS 10.4.11 Tiger: recognized as BlueTooth device, installed fine with no updates. Has normal cursor control & single-button click, but no scrolling or other features. My macbook (10.5.6) could not "find" it.

8. STV macrumors newbie

Both Magic Mouse and new wireless keyboard work on Tiger

Just received a magic mouse and a wireless keyboard for my mac mini (Intel) which runs Tiger 10.4.11. I clicked "Set Up Bluetooth Device" and the Magic Mouse was found on the first attempt. I then tried the same with the wireless keyboard, but this was not detected right away. I kept trying, maybe another 6 or 7 times, and finally Tiger detected the wireless keyboard as well.

9. brad12kx macrumors newbie

Magic Mouse with Tiger 10.4.11

I just (15 mins ago) purchased a Magic mouse to replace my wireless mighty mouse.
    I have a MacBook with Tiger 10.4.11.
    Connects fine, moves cursor, left click and right click work....that's it.

I am about to Install Snow Leopard. Will post the results.

10. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Just tried the Magic mouse with my Powerbook G4 running 10.4.11. It paired just fine on first attempt and it works great... but no features like right clicking or scrolling work. It's just a one button wireless mouse.

*added*
    Well guess I'll just put Leopard back onto this little guy :) Too bad the momentum scrolling only works on Snow Leopard as I really like that feature.

11. tivoboy macrumors 68030

don't understand

Why the MM will work with 10.5.8, but won't work with 10.6.1, have to have at least 10.6.2 to get it running.

does that make sense?

12. enc0d3d macrumors newbie

Ok, yesterday, i bought a Magic Mouse without doing any research or checking, only because my might mouse broke..

After I ordered, which i had no choice but to get a new mouse anyway.. only thought to check minimum requirements.. NO SCROLLING with Tiger.. that sucks.. but i'm not one to give up easily and figured someone must have solved this problem...

and... Ta Da.. I found this.
    http://plentycom.jp/en/magicdriver/index.html

Magic Mouse Drivers that actually work on tiger 10.4.... I got scrolling andd swiping and tapping, you name.. i think its in beta and is only valid until September but this works for me as i'm uprgading anyway to Snow Leopard with my new iMac.. You could buy the drivers after September should you want to stay with Tiger..

Either way.. all is working good and i can scroll so i'm happy now...

Edit: PS: I also have momentum scrolling in Tiger - ROCKS!! :)

13. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

That's great news!

Now only if Apple can create a driver so you can get all the gestures to work in Windows under Bootcamp. Momentum Scrolling has got to be my most favorite feature and then the 2 finger swipe is great too to go back/forth while web browsing.

14. Caracalla macrumors newbie

Thank you!

This is fab! Works a treat and easy to install, so now I've got my Magic Mouse working as it should with my iBook G4 running OS 10.4.11
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

15. sd94 macrumors newbie

Both the Apple Magic Mouse and Apple wireless Keyboard will work on OS X Tiger with a bluetooth Dongle (USB). I am using the mnow