Magic Mouse driving me crazy!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Rufuss Sewell, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Rufuss Sewell macrumors 6502

There are two Magic Mouses in the house, and for the last few months they've both been choppy, and constantly disconnecting. I have to lift the mouse and click to reconnect about every two minutes.

Is this a known issue with a solution? Or should I start shopping for another mouse?

I really love the track pad aspect to the Magic Mouse and don't want to go back to a click wheel. It worked great for me for years.

Is this a Yosemite thing?

2. goosin' macrumors member

goosin'

3. petruc macrumors newbie

Had similar issues with mine; found out that the batteries would move just a little bit inside their compartment, just enough for the mouse to disconnect. Solved by putting a small folded piece of paper between them and the door.

Same for the wireless keyboard – warped the batteries in a small piece of paper, like a cigar.

4. Falcon9 macrumors member

Falcon9

I've never had an issue. It occasionally will disconnect for a brief instant, but it's rare. I do have to clean the "pads" on the bottom of the mouse every other day or so to maximize performance.

5. Rufuss Sewell thread starter macrumors 6502

So... I bought two more new. They both exhibit the same behavior. The one upstairs disconnects, the one downstairs is choppy.

It's got to be computer related or some kind of signal interference.

The one that's disconnecting is also next to a wireless keyboard. I think the disconnecting started happening around the time the keyboard was added.

6. petruc macrumors newbie

Just some quick suggestions if it helps you...

Try using the choppy one on a piece of plain paper just to be sure it isn't optical related.

For interference, pay attention to cordless landline phones and smart TVs nearby.

7. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

If you are using any USB 3.0 peripherals, there is a known interference issues with the Bluetooth Magic Mouse on some systems. Often using better shielded high quality cables will help the problem, or I have had success with putting ferrite cores on each end of my already high quality USB 3.0 cables.

8. Rusty33 macrumors 6502

Rusty33

I had a similar, albeit intermittent, problem with my magic mouse - which I discovered to be related to the distance between my laptop and Time Machine (especially when it was backing up). Bringing them closer together appeared to dramatically reduce the level of interference.

9. elefantrider macrumors member

Logitech Anywhere mouse and never looked back.

10. Rufuss Sewell thread starter macrumors 6502

After using the Magic Mouse I can't go back to using a mouse without a trackpad on top. Scroll wheels give me nightmares.

11. Rufuss Sewell thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm, well, I do use a wifi backup drive for both computers.

12. Rufuss Sewell thread starter macrumors 6502

So far I've:

Bought new mice

Tried the paper under battery trick

Reset PRAM

Nothing.

There are some USB3 drives attached. Also a wifi backup drive. Man this sucks.

13. Rusty33 macrumors 6502

Rusty33

That is brutal...can you move your wifi base station and/or disconnect the backup drive temporarily?

Are you using an apple time capsule?

14. Shamgar macrumors regular

Signal reception with my metal Mac Pro is awful, so I ended up taking the battery cover off of the Magic Mouse. That slight reduction in metal casing actually made a significant difference in bluetooth reception for me.