Magic Mouse - Dropping out

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by toolbox, Jan 26, 2010.

1. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Hi all

My magic mouse, has been working nicely for about 2 months. When i changed the batteries it is constantly dropping out whilst using, as in the mac looses the connection via bluetooth i have to then turn the mouse off then on again before the mac will pick it up

As i am typing this now i have turned the mouse on and the mac won't pick it up at all, the green light on the mouse doens't even come on. I have changed the batteries again in the mouse, reset the PRAM, SMC on the macbook pro.

Anyone experienced this issue? Is this covered under my apple care plan or should i take it back to where i bought it from which is my place of work and get it swapped?

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Hi toolbox,

As I was about to suggest an SMC reset, I honestly have no clue as to what could be wrong. I assume the batteries you're using are brand new/fully charged? When you go into the mouse preferences, at what percentage are the batteries?

My suggestion would be to swap out the batteries with a different set, and if possible a different brand. If you're continuing to have these issues I'd first try to have your place of work swap it out and if they can't or won't, take it to your nearest Apple Store and explain your situation.

3. maxi11235 macrumors newbie

Dying Mouse

I've got a magic mouse and had a cheap pair of batteries in it and it was doing exactly the same thing: it would randomly stop working and my screen would show "Connection Lost".

I replaced the batteries and the problem went away.:D

Try changing your mouse's batteries!

4. toolbox thread starter macrumors 68020

toolbox

Yeah i have replaced them - it worked good for a couple of weeks and now it's stopped working / turning on now.

I might go and get some heavy duty batteries that are used in cameras. See how that goes.

5. johnnj macrumors 6502a

I have one Magic Mouse at home and one at work. Both have problems connecting when my MBP comes out of sleep or it first boots up. Sometimes I need to use another mouse (which both locations have so that I can kvm switch) to go into the BT menu and reconnect it. Both have fresh high quality batteries. I haven't tried the SMC reset, though. Maybe I'll give that a shot today.

John