Magic Mouse - Finger Moves

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by grsamson, Nov 28, 2010.

1. grsamson macrumors newbie

Hi, I've had the Magic Mouse for a few months and I'm not overly impressed with it, although I like the sideways swipe very much. But perhaps my preferences aren't ideal. I am using Magic Prefs.

I find the mouse very heavy, with 2 batteries (- it's a pity there wasn't a chorded version - it would be much lighter).

My question: Is there a way the movement of my forefinger can represent the movement of the cursor? i.e. is there a way I don't have to move the actual mouse (it is heavy), but just move my finger around the surface and have the mouse cursor follow?

Cheers,
    Geoff

2. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

.... that would be what a Magic Trackpad is for.

3. grsamson thread starter macrumors newbie

But wouldn't I have to keep moving my hand from the trackpad to the mouse? Or does the trackpad do all the mouse does?

thanks,
    Geoff

4. juicedropsdeuce macrumors 6502

you need both

You need both the trackpad and the mouse, that's why you can't get just the trackpad with the iMac, for example. The trackpad is for the cursor and gestures and the mouse is for clicking and other advanced things. It's an elegant set up.

5. grsamson thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks for the clarification. I'll check it out.

Cheers,
    Geoff

6. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't think juicedropsduece was being entirely serious there, Geoff.

7. britishchris macrumors newbie

There's a feature in Magic Prefs called "Finger Pointer" which is what you're looking for, it feels weird though because the "click" portion of the mouse is only at the top so I don't recommend it but give it a try to see if it's to your liking.

You can assign the Finger Pointer setting to any of the more advanced actions (like tapping the stem etc) so just find what one you like the most.

8. grsamson thread starter macrumors newbie

Chris, I can't find the 'Finger Pointer" feature you describe in Magic Prefs. Are you sure about this?

thanks,
    Geoff

9. BenFL macrumors member

How is the magic mouse too heavy? I have never heard that before.

10. grsamson thread starter macrumors newbie

I am used to using a wired mouse, which is very light weight. The MagicMouse holds two rechargeable batteries making it considerably heavier, thus it feels sluggish to move around.

Regards,
    Geoff

11. BenFL macrumors member

Have you tried going to a gym?

12. grsamson thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that's not a bad suggestion, but when you are 97 years old it's harder to lift my bike up onto the roof of the ambulance like I used to, since they don't offer a return trip.

Geoff

13. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

what are you saying? unless this is meant as sarcasm, the magic trackpad clicks as well. the entire trackpad is a button that clicks on two small little rubber feet.

OP - go try one of these out at the Apple Store, they're quite amazing.

14. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I have a the magic trackpad on the left side, keyboard in middle, and a wacom intuos/logitech trackball on the right. I use the magic trackpad with bettertouchtool, along with the regular osx gestures. A trackpad with bettertouchtool, along with a mouse is the perfect combo. Eliminated alot of the wrist pain because I can alternate moving the cursor with either device.

15. footman1 macrumors newbie

mouse settings

I unfortunately bought an imac.:(
    It has the magic mouse ,no magic for me, but it feels like I am dragging or pushing it on rubber feet.Well planted through my wooden desk
    I have tried setting it.I have tried mouse zoom and mouse steer.
    When I play bejewelled ( grandad:eek: competeing with grand sons on
    facebook)or other tile-swap games it is as though i am steering or pushing a mound of butter around and yes the mouse seems to be "heavy".
    Also why are the toolbar icons so small.I can only increase their size if i reduce image quality.
    I had none of these problems with my pc equipment.
    Any ideas are welcome.
    Thanks
    Geoff uk