Magic Mouse from Best Buy

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nyc4lifedt, Nov 6, 2009.

1. nyc4lifedt macrumors member

It didn't show up on Best Buy website, but when I got there, new iMacs and Magic Mouse were displayed there. I bought the Magic Mouse and tested it out for the past couple of days.

1) Design is, as expected, gorgeous. Sleek and thin. However, since it's "flatter" then other mouses and even comparing it to the Mighty mouse, using it for a long duration hurts my wrist and hands. This was expected. If I was looking for a comfortable mouse, I probably opted for something else.

2) Click noises are loud. Since it's just one big button, I guess it generates a louder click noises than other mouse. It might not bother some people, but in a quiet environment, it was considerably louder than my other mouses.

3) Cursor (Tracking) speed is slow at default and has to be adjusted with the software. I have Leopard and had to download the 1.0 mouse software. Even setting the tracking speed at the fastest, it's not fast. I have a 24 inch monitor, and sometimes I would need to drag it a couple of times to get from one side to the other. This is good and bad. If you have a lot of room to cover, then it's inconvenient. However, if you're doing more precise work, then this is a good option. But it's definitely smarter than previous mouses. If you move the mouse fast it tracks fast. Slow, vice versa.

4) It's not same as MacBook or MacBook Pro track pad. You probably know from Apple website about back and forward swipe, scroll, etc. Only one finger going up and down controls scrolling compared to two fingers on a track pad. Three finger swipe does not work, and four finger swipe does not work either (No switching windows, expose, etc). Pinching, squeezing do not work on the mouse itself, unless you press control the command key to zoom in and out.

Definitely some flaws, but overall I'm happy. Hope next version of Apple Software adds some more features to it.

2. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

This is my biggest complaint. By the way, the Mighty Mouse also accelerates when moving it fast and slows down when moving it slow... that's not just a Magic Mouse feature, but the Magic Mouse moves TOO slow when moving the mouse slow.

I can cover twice as much screen with my Mighty Mouse using the same hand speed.

Hopefully Apple will update the drivers to be more like the Mighty Mouse because this is frustrating.

3. Tweak3D macrumors regular

mine was like that until I adjusted it using only the built in software, something must be wrong with your settings. I ahve a 17in MBP unibody which has the same screen res as your 24in and I can move the mouse across the whole screen in about 1.5 in of travel with the mouse. It tracks exactly the same as my old logitech corded mouse.

4. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

sigh. why did someone have to post this. I was going to wait until christmas to ask for this mouse, but now that I know its at best buy I may go buy it right away.

5. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

The problem is when you're moving slow, it doesn't track the same speed as moving a Mighty Mouse slow.

Trust me, nothing I can do with the built in software remedies this.

I have both mice connected at the same time and the Magic Mouse is just too slow to use.

6. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

You can increase mouse tracking dramatically via a Terminal command, as well as kill mouse acceleration, so the mouse behaves more like it would in Windows.

Makes a world of difference.

And a new version of USB Overdrive is just around the corner.

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I don't want my mouse like Windows. I want it like my Mighty Mouse.

8. Tweak3D macrumors regular

you are aware that OSX doesn't like 2 mice at once and it can cause problems right? I had my logitech mouse plugged in when I synced the mighty mouse, it was slow like you describe. I downloaded the update, still slow with everything turned up and the magic mouse was pretty inaccurate taking multiple attempts to click a button to close a window. I unplugged my logitech mouse and restarted and bam, everything works perfectly, not console commands or anything, there is literally no difference between it and a wired mouse.

I am really thinking this is a software issue because I am seeing a limited number of people talk about this issue. Ive seen both sides and know what you mean when you say slow but its not the mouse it self, its apple and their inability to create bug free drivers. id wait for 10.6.2 before you make any claims about bad tracking, hopefully its fixed by then.

9. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

My Magic Mouse's tracking speed was uber fast by default, much faster than that of the Mighty Mouse...

10. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

My Magic Mouse speed was awesome until I installed the drivers for it. Now it's slow. I'll try unplugging my Mighty Mouse and restartinf, but I don't think that will do anything because the iMac at best buy has the same problem and that ONLY has the Magic Mouse attached to it.

11. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

I got a magic mouse a few days ago and have been using it heavily (got a critical project to complete -- been sleeping a few hours a night -- am taking a few minutes break to look at MR.

I love it.

The flick-scrolling with momentum is something I don't think I ever want to do without.

The tracking has a different feel, but it didn't bother me at all. I adjusted to it in minutes and it feels natural now.

No hassles with the bluetooth as of yet. It "just works." I'll keep my fingers crossed, though, on this one.

It tracks well on soft surfaces like carpet or upholstery. It would work well with a home theater setup where you might be using the mouse on the arm of a chair or the cushion of a couch (an old wireless MM I tried did not work on those surfaces).

The squeeze-click from the old MM is gone as far as I can tell. If you liked that, you might not like this mouse.

As a lefty who uses mice with the normal button configuration, it is better than the old mighty mouse for right-clicks. I can use a normal right-clicking movement with the magic mouse. (For the old MM, if my middle finger was even slightly touching the mouse surface as I attempted to right-click with me index finger, the MM would nevertheless register it as a left click. So I would had to adjust my preferred right-click motion to roll my whole hand to the right to ensure my middle finger came off the mouse. The magic mouse can tell I'm right-clicking without all that.

I'm very happy with this guy. I've been feeling like an idiot sucker for a few years because I keep buying Apple mice and then find I can't really use them day-to-day for various reasons.

But it looks like this is finally it. It's the only mouse on my desktop now (well, I have an old wired mouse tucked behind the monitor now, in case of problems, but you know what I mean.

This is definitely Apple's best mouse yet. I suspect it will get better through software updates, too.

12. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'll use my Mighty Mouse for now until Apple fixes the slow tracking.

13. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Just tried it… It's exactly the same after a restart with only the Magic Mouse connected. It was worth a shot, but it still didn't work.

However, I didn't think it would work anyway because I have the same problem on my MacBook Pro and I didn't have any other mice connected to it when I paired my Magic Mouse.

If you use the Magic Mouse without the drivers (you lose scrolling ability), it works wonderfully. As soon as you install Apple's Magic Mouse drivers, it goes back to slow.

14. nyc4lifedt thread starter macrumors member

I would also like to have expose with the magic mouse. I thought that was the biggest flaw with this mouse. The speed could be better, but after a few days of using and getting use to it, I don't see that big of a problem. I actually prefer the slower tracking, but that's just me.

Expose would complete this mouse, I think. I had no idea how much I used the four finger swipe on my MacBook Pro until I used the Magic Mouse. I constantly find my swiping it with no result.

15. nyc4lifedt thread starter macrumors member

You know how at Best Buys they have a corner just dedicated for Apple products? The Magic Mouse will be displayed right near there, in its minimal package, shiny, white, sleek design, calling for you. (The devil speaking :D)

16. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

I was going to do the same thing and then I found out that the Apple Authorized Reseller in my area had them and I immediately went and bought one.

Surprisingly our Best Buy doesn't carry any Apple products. Probably because of the close proximity of the AAR.

17. Gugalpm macrumors member

People are strange.

They want new things but they don't want to adapt to new things.

If you want your mouse to act like the Mighty Mouse, then KEEP THE MIGHTY MOUSE and don't complain.

18. iPhilPHX macrumors regular

iPhilPHX

Hi all, thought I'd use my first post to add my impressions of the Magic Mouse. After reading this thread I decided to head out to Best Buy and take the plunge. Mind you, as of this post it's been connected to my iMac a grand total of 15 minutes and already I'm thinking it was money well-spent. The simple fact that I no longer have to deal with that silly ball that would continually fail to scroll down even after repeated attempts at the various cleaning methods (short of taking it apart) is worth the price of admission. Set up was trouble free, and after downloading the software update I'm loving this thing. The tracking and scrolling speed is just fine for me, and I'm really getting a kick out of the scroll with momentum feature. Also, as has been noted, it's just a nice looking mouse. Give it a try.

Phil

19. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

-1 - I have changed my mind, from my previous agreement with your comment - this is a STUPID comment.

20. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Wow… that was a shallow post. Why should I adapt to my wrist hurting because I can't move the cursor as far anymore? Why should I have to pick the mouse up every few inches to get across the screen? I don't have to do those things with the Mighty Mouse and I simply EXPECTED the Magic Mouse to be the same.

Also, before I bought it… I didn't read anywhere that people thought it was slow.

Telling me to keep the Mighty Mouse and don't complain doesn't help because I bought the Magic Mouse so that I WOULDN'T have to keep the Mighty Mouse… DUH!

I'll continue to use my Mighty Mouse until Apple issues a software update that corrects the Magic Mouse tracking flaw. Other than the slow tracking, it's a decent mouse. I wanna give it a chance… I really do, but it's not ready yet.

21. linuxidiot macrumors member

Nice, my Best Buy near Dallas, TX isn't supposed to get the Magic Mouse until sometime this week. The Magic Mouse is now displayed on the BestBuy site, however it is still listed with the Mighty Mouse information. So I imagine any day now it will change.

22. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

The Apple Stores Seem To Be All Out Of Stock

I have not tried Best Buy, but I check all the Apple Stores here in Houston and also looked on Amazon- no one seems to have them in stock.

Apple's website is now showing 5 - 7 day delivery......

23. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I hate my Magic Mouse... wish I had some way to get rid of it.

24. SpeedFleX macrumors 6502

ebay it

25. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I stopped in Best Buy and they had one for sale. I had in mind that i might buy it. There were two on display. The first one i used barely worked. It would barely move across the screen as if a track ball was gooey. That same feeling. I looked under it and it was clean under there, tried different surfaces and it still wasn't working right. I tried the other one and it worked much better but i see what you mean about it being slow. What i really did like was the two finger slide to move the page back or forward in safari. I left without it. I was turned off to the broken one. It reminded me of the broken Mighty Mice in the Apple stores. I think i'll give it more time and see how the reviews are after a couple of months. How this $70 mouse holds up.