Magic Mouse Gaming

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bryguy393, Feb 14, 2010.

1. bryguy393 macrumors member

bryguy393

Hey guys, I've searched MRoogle and youtube and didn't find anything good really. I was wondering for those of you who have a magic mouse, how good is it for gaming? Have you tried it on a variety of games? (Cod, sims, RTS games) or anything like that? I have heard that you can't have 2 fingers resting on the mouse to be able to click or something...

I won't be gaming all the time, but occasionally I'll want to. I am looking to buy one with a new MBP once they refresh them. Tell me your experiences please!

2. 50548 Guest

Dunno about others but I have absolutely no problems playing games with it...games like FlatOut 2, Call of Duty 1 and 4, NWN 1 and 2 and Wesnoth...in particular, mouse-intensive games such as CoD don't present any problems to me. It might not be the most "pro-gamer" mouse out there, but it's no slouch either...as for having two fingers at the same time, this is more a feature than a bug; I had no problem adjusting to that (for me, left click always work even when the second finger is laying on the right, btw).

3. breathesrain macrumors regular

They seem overpriced, honestly. You can get a third party mouse for cheaper with a better design, if a bit uglier. The magic mouse is a pretty nice mouse to include with a system (iMac) but not, in my opinion, worth purchasing on its own. I suppose it's better than the old mouse, but that's not saying much, is it?

Get yourself something nice from Logitech :)

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I actually specifically bought a Magic Mouse after using one to play WoW at a friend’s house. I love the velocity-scrolling and with MagicPrefs you get a middle click (and WAY more if you want it).

People bitch a lot about Apple’s peripherals, but I prefer them to the competition’s.

5. bryguy393 thread starter macrumors member

bryguy393

yes, i read about magic prefs and intend on downloading it. and thanks BRLawyer, sounds great. anybody else use their magic mouse for gaming? the main thing i am concerned about is not sims and starcraft, but more FPS games, and how it handles them (distinguishing between zoom and fire etc.)

still open to opinions :)

6. 50548 Guest

You probably never used it, then; once you get used to multi-touch and the fact that there are no moving parts in it, you never come back...

The Magic Mouse is BY FAR Apple's best input device ever (well, perhaps after the excellent Apple Extended Keyboard II).

7. 50548 Guest

I've just finished a session in CoD4...kept always among the top 3 players there, so there you go...;) No problems at all.

p.s.: And yes, get MagicPrefs - free, no bugs and excellent feature set.

8. breathesrain macrumors regular

Mostly true...i've played around with it a bit but I've never used it for a long period of time.
    And I do love the apple keyboards- beautiful and very useful. I can type a lot faster on them than anywhere else :D

9. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

I don't have any of the third party apps for controlling the Magic Mouse, and I don't do a whole lot of computer gaming - WoW is about it..

That said, the only problem I have ever had is that the scroll sometimes works when I don't want it to. For example, in WoW, the scroll is used to zoom in and zoom out. There have been a few times when I zoomed in and didn't want to.

Otherwise, I think the Magic Mouse is great, and would recommend it to pretty much everyone.

10. dudeitsjay macrumors regular

I just picked up a 27'' imac 3.06 yesterday and I finally got around to getting bootcamp installed for it--its no simple run bootcamp and popin cd, gatta delete something via commandprompt, but i digress.

The magic mouse on bootcamp stutters a lot, and occasionally, especially when it seems that the harddrive is searching, the mouse will just freeze for 1-2sec at a time and then teleport to where I was motioning while it was frozen. I've used the 3.0 bootcamp update that came with the iMac. Not sure why this is happening, as when I plug in my Mx518 via usb, it works flawlessly.

I'm hoping its a driver issue and it'll get patched soon... it just happened again as I was trying to click on the 'submit reply'

11. nutritious macrumors 6502

generally best to avoid wireless mice for gaming

12. bryguy393 thread starter macrumors member

bryguy393

does anybody know if there is an alternative to magicprefs for windows in bootcamp? I saw there is a gaming preset, and i'll be gaming in bootcamp most of the time anyway.

thanks!

13. bryguy393 thread starter macrumors member

bryguy393

ALSO, in CoD, since i've only played it for 360, what are the mouse controls? is left click fire, right click zoom? and do you hold right click to stay zoomed? any middle click / scroll functions? just wondering because i know it only has one button, and I'm pretty sure you can't hold right, then click left, unless somebody proves me wrong.

and, same question as above, any way to get magicprefs like features in windows via bootcamp?

14. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Very good to hear. I'm also looking forward to using the Magic Mouse for gaming. Except however, how does the middle mouse button work? You would need a preference app for that, right?

15. bryguy393 thread starter macrumors member

bryguy393

that's the same question i've been asking, haven't gotten an answer yet. almost all of my gaming will be done via boot camp, and i'm not sure if there is a preference utility for windows.

anybody know? and could somebody who has played cod answer my question above aswell?

16. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Oh right, the preference utility is only for OS X as of right now, right? Hmm, I would have thought someone out there would have developed one for Windows by now. :confused:

17. alphOnce macrumors newbie

18. bryguy393 thread starter macrumors member

bryguy393

so nobody's heard of a magicprefs-like app for windows?

also, to anyone who has played call of duty for pc, could you please answer my question a few posts up? it would be greatly appreciated :)

19. bryguy393 thread starter macrumors member

bryguy393

how the hell are we going to throw a grenade, in CoD, on Windows???