Magic Mouse getting even stranger

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Rob.G, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Rob.G macrumors 6502

Rob.G

I posted about this a few months ago and found out I wasn't the only one with this problem...

My Magic Mouse (and this is the second one doing this, because I destroyed the first one in frustration over it) is insane. More often than not, when I go to move the mouse, it will make whatever window I'm on scroll in whatever direction I'm moving the mouse. Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. Most of the time it's after I click on something. It makes using Google Maps almost impossible.

But as of late, the last couple of weeks, it has started something new. When I go to move the mouse, WITHOUT having clicked, the pointer will jump around the screen. Sometimes it jumps an inch, sometimes it goes all over the place, as if you turned Acceleration up to MAX for an instant. It's maddening and I'm about to break #2. I can't afford it, nor the time to drive up to Portland to buy another one.

What I'm wonder is, is anybody else experiencing this? I may have to just go up to Portland to an Apple Store and see if they have any ideas, but this is nuts. It's starting to seem more like it's a hardware problem than a software problem.

Rob

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

If anything, I'm more inclined to think it's a software problem rather than a hardware one. I've never noticed those issues with my Magic Mouse, and I'm a fairly early adopter.

Do you have any third party software installed? MagicPrefs? BetterTouchTool? USB Overdrive? It could be that these may be interfering with something.

You could always try trashing your Bluetooth prefs or an SMC and/or PRAM reset.

3. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

yeah that's definitely a software issue...i suggest trying what the guy above me said

4. Rob.G thread starter macrumors 6502

Rob.G

I'm back to thinking it's software too. After making the post, I disabled MagicPrefs. Most of the scrolling problems disappeared, but the "bouncing all over the screen" problem remained, but it didn't happen as often.

I had been in contact with the makers of MagicPrefs the last time I went through this, and they swore up and down their software couldn't cause any of those problems. Maybe not, but it sure is amplifying them.

How do you go about what you suggest? Trashing Bluetooth prefs, SMC/PRAM reset? I'm a new Mac user as of last January (same time I got the MM).

Thanks!

Rob

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

6. olletsocmit macrumors 6502

olletsocmit

I used it for a few weeks. I think the thing SUCKS. its to flat. does not fit in ur hands well

7. Rob.G thread starter macrumors 6502

Rob.G

Today I finally deleted the plist file and reset the SMC (but not the PRAM)... the problem has been reduced, but is still present. The mouse still jumps occasionally, and still scrolls without me wanting it to fairly often, but not as badly.

Rob

8. mac-matt macrumors member

late post i know

if you have the mac airport then this could be causing your problem. i did a test with it and without it for 2 months and i never had a problem when the airport WAS NOT hooked up, however when the airport was running i noticed poor mouse control and the cursor jumps all over the screen like its on crack. PIA

9. amarcus macrumors 6502

Try removing the magic mouses battery cover and cleaning the optical head of any dirt/hairs. I had a small hair that caused the mouse to move erratically every now and then...

Adam

10. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Absolutely! I had exactly the same problem until I cleaned all the dust etc from the lenses. Since then - no probs!