Magic Mouse...I LIKE it!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by akm3, Feb 3, 2010.

1. akm3 macrumors 68020

With all the hate about how much the magic mouse sucked, I was expecting to hate it. But it is actually a really cool mouse.

Now, I can't say it does anything BETTER than my old Microsoft mouse - but It is fun to use, slim, light, easy to carry with me, syncs quickly with bluetooth, and requires no dongle.

I have no problems accidentally left clicking when I meant to right, and the gestures to scoll and go forward/back work fantastic for me.

I don't know why everyone hated it so much...I'm a fan!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Download Better Touch Tool and you will eat those words.

3. cjd95jeep macrumors newbie

4. milkfan4 macrumors newbie

I was sooo tired of the mighty mouse ball getting stuck every week...magic mouse is amazing!

5. uv23 macrumors 6502

Finally broke down and picked one up today. It certainly looks the business and in the short time I've used it, its comfortable to hold. What I'm finding though is that its not tracking nearly as well on my granite desk as my old dell wired mouse did, so I may need to get a mousepad of some sort which is unfortunate. And while tracking speed seemed fast enough at first, it now seems painfully slow causing me to lift the mouse off my desk repeatedly with a 24" monitor. Interestingly, before updating the mouse drivers the tracking speed was great.

6. robj macrumors regular

I use it everyday, with Better Touch Tool it is very handy.

The touch scroll or the gestures are very useful, I don't ever miss my old "button-loaded" Logitech Mouse. Besides, it's BT so I save one USB port of my MBP :)

7. uv23 macrumors 6502

Just installed MagicPrefs and have it set at the full tracking speed, which makes everything much better. I don't need any of the fancy gestures as I have been using a two button mouse with simple scrolling forever. Its unfortunate that the MM doesn't track well on granite, but I have it on a piece of paper for now until I get a thin black mouse pad.

8. uv23 macrumors 6502

Maybe you can guys can answer a newb question for me. I have a 13" MBP connected to an ACD. To conserve mouse battery, I assume I should turn it off when I'm not using the computer (i.e. when I put it to sleep). But I have found that every time I turn the mouse off after putting the computer to sleep, it wakes it back up. I suppose I could leave the mouse on sleep mode instead of turning off but that seems wasteful. Suggestions?

9. iMerlin macrumors 6502a

iMerlin

I do this everyday when I leave the office. I shut the mouse off first, then sleep my MBP. When I wake my MBP the next day, I turn the mouse on, then click and hold for about 3 seconds and it links up no problems.

Also, I have to second the vote for Better Touch Tool. This utility made me go buy another Magic Mouse. I only use 2 custom gestures, 2 finger swipe up and down for Expose and Spaces. But the amount of other gestures in that tool are absolutely amazing. You can even set application specific gestures. So 3 finger swipe up for increase text size in Safari, but then in Photoshop that same gesture can be for zoom. It really makes the MM much more flexible and usable, IMO.

10. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

I love my MM as well. However, I recently purchased a glass desk and unfortunately it doesn't work on glass. I'm looking for a big mouse pad, around 8x10.. suggestions welcomed!

And while the mouse DOES feel slow at first, you get used to it.. eventually. :D

11. uv23 macrumors 6502

Question for the MagicPrefs users. I like how on my MBP trackpad I can pinch in and out to zoom the application. I wanted to emulate this with my MM, and noticed that MagicPrefs has a two finger pinch in/out thats by default mapped to application zoom in/out. However for the life of me, I can't get it to work. Any ideas? Right now I'm just using MagicPrefs for tracking acceleration.

12. talkingfuture macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

Mine is great, I love the smooth scrolling. Have to say I was very apprehensive about spending so much based on Apple's track record with mice. Tried several before actually buying one.

13. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

So is the magic mouse like a mouse version of the multitouch trackpads on MBPs? I'd like to know because I love the multitouch trackpad!

14. KenJJ macrumors newbie

I'm considering replacing my old Mighty mouse with a Magic mouse but I've been hearing that a number of people have been complaining that the wireless Magic mouse is rapidly draining the batteries in their Apple wireless keyboard. Has anyone else noticed issues with extreme battery drain in their keyboard after switching to the Magic mouse? I find it odd that the Magic mouse would drain the batteries in the keyboard but that's what I'm hearing.

15. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

The absolute best thing I bought for my Magic Mouse was
    rechargable batteries.

16. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

This issue was fixed in a firmware update a month ago.

17. AppleThis&That macrumors regular

AppleThis&That

I find it being a decent mouse. I just got mine a week ago. The thing I like about it is that it's small enough for a portable macbook pro to carry around and for my instance I use my macbook pro at work as a desktop with attached screen and keyboard. So this mouse is big enough for that instance as well. The only thing I don't like about it is depending on the moisture of your fingers, the performance of scrolling and swiping can have some rubbing at times.

18. KenJJ macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info.

19. BrokenE macrumors regular

Before I bought my iMac yesterday, I had gone in to check it out several times. The MM felt awkward every time I tried it. I just could not get used to it in the store.

So on my way to pick up the new iMac yesterday, I stopped to pick up a logitech V450N mouse to use instead.

Last night I had to complete a project and knew I would be working on the new Mac for several hours. I decided to give the MM a try before opening the logitech package. As it turns out...well, I kinda fell in love with it. It works very well.

Oh yeah, as I was discussing my purchase with the Apple folks, I complained about the standard keyboard not having a number pad. You know what they did??? They gave me one for free!!! Ok well, they discounted 50 bucks from my $2000 computer, and then charged me for the KB, but still, it's free right?

Very, very happy with my purchase so far.

20. mac88 macrumors 6502

I just picked up mine and installed MagicPrefs too. I like how the mouse is fully customizable. The mouse feels/acts like the trackpad on my Macbook.