Magic Mouse in Bootcamp mode?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Avenger, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Avenger macrumors 6502

Do you think the new magic mouse will have any functionality on a Windows PC? I could see it bothersomw if I have to change the mouse when I boot into windows using bootcamp. I would think the basics should work under windows but the requirements say OS X.

2. JAT macrumors 603

Not so far.

System requirements indicate you need another mouse just to go through setup. But that can't be right if the new Macs ship only with this.

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

after you install windows on a mac, you have to go in and install apple drivers to make things like the isight function properly. I strongly suspect they're going to add drivers for the magic mouse to that install... I mean, it is the mouse that ships with the imac, so I can't imagine they wouldn't let it work with bootcamp.

Functionality on a regular windows PC, without those apple drivers, is a whole other issue.

4. scottelloco macrumors newbie

This is from Apple's Support Page:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3039

Apple Magic Mouse: Up or down scrolling and swiping do not work with on Windows with Boot Camp

* Last Modified: October 20, 2009
    * Article: TS3039

Symptoms

When you use an Apple Magic Mouse with Windows XP and Vista using Boot Camp 3.0, which ships with Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard, or Boot Camp 2.1, which shipped with Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard, up or down scrolling and two finger swiping does not work.

Products Affected
    Boot Camp, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Apple Magic Mouse

Resolution
    These features do not work in Windows when using Apple Magic Mouse with Boot Camp.

5. Avenger thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the link. Not having the equivalent of scrolling under windows makes it less appealing. There is software out there that already assumes that you have a scroller of some sort on the mouse. I've seen it in many games.

6. Max E Verde macrumors regular

Max E Verde

Hmm notice the "This document will be updated as more information becomes available." That does not appear on every support page.

Hopefully Apple will add Boot Camp drivers in the future for the Magic Mouse, which I plan to buy as soon as a local Apple Store gets it in. I rarely use Boot Camp, though.

I also noticed there doesn't seem to be a way to "middle click," which I use to open new tabs in Safari and to activate an often-used toolbar item in WoW.