Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elassi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2012
Egypt
hi
i've got the magic mouse since jan 23 ..
and i've used it with windows from that day till i finally recieved my mac mini on jan 31 ..
when i conected it to the mac i checked the battery level and it was 98%..
nw everyday i check it and i noticed that the level is dropping very fast ..
its nw 67% !!!
is that normal !?

Eddy Munn

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
Do you turn it off when not using it?
What batteries are you using too- some hold their charge over others.

elassi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2012
Egypt
Do you turn it off when not using it?
What batteries are you using too- some hold their charge over others.

no i didn't so the trackpad and the keyboard !!
as i konw they are power savers ,, when not in use they save the power by partially switching off and resume when u click on them !! .. am i wrong !!?

iam using the one that came with the mouse .. "Energizer advanced - alkaline batteries"

Damo01

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2010
Australia
The batteries your are using for the magic mouse will eventually die by running out of power and will be need replacing with new ones that has a full charge since they're not rechargeable.

elassi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2012
Egypt
The batteries your are using for the magic mouse will eventually die by running out of power and will be need replacing with new ones that has a full charge since they're not rechargeable.

i know that ,, what i'm trying to figure here ..
is that average of battery consumption !!?

im using the mouse for about 15 days and the level dropped to about the HALF !!

Damo01

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2010
Australia
i know that ,, what i'm trying to figure here ..
is that average of battery consumption !!?

im using the mouse for about 15 days and the level dropped to about the HALF !!

I might not be able answer the question you asking but you are getting technical regarding the battery life of the types of batteries you using for the magic mouse. It could depends how much you're using the mouse.

lc25

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2009
Does depend on how you are using it but i'd get a dual charger and some envelop rechargeable batteries off eBay, saved me a fortune.

Damo01

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2010
Australia
or a magic charger from Mobee ,which you just place the magic mouse onto the recharging base station while not in use and let recharge away.

73ragtop

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2012
The Magic Mouse is an optical mouse. If you are using it on a solid black or solid white surface, check out this 3M product:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Precise-Optical-Mousing-MP200PS/dp/B0017D5Z40

3M claims this product extends the battery life on an optical mouse. I've never tried it, but theoretically it makes sense.

From the 3M ad copy:

Extends Battery Life of Wireless Mice
This mousing surface features a unique battery-saving design that can extend the battery life of your wireless mouse by up to 75 percent. Lab testing showed that optical mice from leading manufacturers drew less current when used on this mousing surface rather than on typical desk-top surfaces and black-foam mousepads, significantly reducing battery consumption.

Last edited:

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
To answer the OP's original question, yes that sounds about right for battery usage on a Magic Mouse that isn't turned off between usages. I've found that it's two sets of batteries for the mouse for each set in the keyboard.

The Mobee charger works well, I have one, although it uses USB to charge which to me kind of defeats the fact that don't need a USB connection for a wired mouse. Since the Momee uses a mini-USB I use a cell phone charger to feed the charge pad..

Rechargeables will start at about 80% charge as reported by OSX, since they run at 1.2v vs 1.5v for a regular battery.

Lisa89

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2012
I think that's normal. I have to recharge mine every month. (seems normal if you use it 10 hours or more a day) If you don't use it that often, there might be a problem.

I bought some (non-apple) rechargeable batteries so i can easily switch when my mouse stops working. No need to buy an expensive mac-changer, unless you're keen on having one.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
My magic mouse goes through batteries 5times faster than my wireless keyboard dont know if this is normal.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
when i conected it to the mac i checked the battery level and it was 98%..
nw everyday i check it and i noticed that the level is dropping very fast ..
its nw 67% !!!
is that normal !?
Be aware that the battery level shown is an APPROXIMATION only. There's no real way to gauge how much energy is still left in a battery (it's not like the fuel tank of a car; there's no "liquid" to measure.)

Solution: just use the mouse until it goes dead, and never bother with the battery indicator (I've had it show a negative number for remaining power......) Then just change the batteries. To make it last a bit longer you can use the power switch at the back, but in my experience that's just a waste of effort really; my magic mouse still lasts for many weeks on one charge even with the switch left in the "on" postion the whole time. I only switch the mouse off when I'm transporting it, so it doesn't wake up my computer while still packed in the laptop bag.

Others have suggested rechargeable Eneloop batteries. I use these too; avoid using very high rating NiMH batteries in stores; these typically have very high self-discharge rates and will go flat inside of a few months even if you don't use them at all. Eneloops will hold their charge for a long time, and is thus better suited for use in low-power devices like mice and keyboards and such where you don't want to have to change batteries all the damn time. :p

Apple's own battery charger comes with six Eneloop cells (re-badged); it's not the best charger in the world maybe (or the cheapest, lol), but it's decent enough, very small and easy to pack in a bag, and it works. I use it myself to re-charge my magic mouse's batteries.

JurgenV

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Same here its pretty 'normal' the mag mouse eats batteries. Though when OS X begins whining about battery life I can still use it on the same batteries for more then a week.

elassi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2012
Egypt
I think that's normal. I have to recharge mine every month. (seems normal if you use it 10 hours or more a day) If you don't use it that often, there might be a problem.

I bought some (non-apple) rechargeable batteries so i can easily switch when my mouse stops working. No need to buy an expensive mac-changer, unless you're keen on having one.

i actually use it about 6 hours aday ,, may be few more hours sometimes !

----------

Be aware that the battery level shown is an APPROXIMATION only. There's no real way to gauge how much energy is still left in a battery (it's not like the fuel tank of a car; there's no "liquid" to measure.)

Solution: just use the mouse until it goes dead, and never bother with the battery indicator (I've had it show a negative number for remaining power......) Then just change the batteries. To make it last a bit longer you can use the power switch at the back, but in my experience that's just a waste of effort really; my magic mouse still lasts for many weeks on one charge even with the switch left in the "on" postion the whole time. I only switch the mouse off when I'm transporting it, so it doesn't wake up my computer while still packed in the laptop bag.

Others have suggested rechargeable Eneloop batteries. I use these too; avoid using very high rating NiMH batteries in stores; these typically have very high self-discharge rates and will go flat inside of a few months even if you don't use them at all. Eneloops will hold their charge for a long time, and is thus better suited for use in low-power devices like mice and keyboards and such where you don't want to have to change batteries all the damn time. :p

Apple's own battery charger comes with six Eneloop cells (re-badged); it's not the best charger in the world maybe (or the cheapest, lol), but it's decent enough, very small and easy to pack in a bag, and it works. I use it myself to re-charge my magic mouse's batteries.

that's really helps ,, thnx :)

motofabio

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2011
How irritating it must be for someone to ask a question and then get a thousand responses from people that don't answer the question.

YES, what you're seeing is "normal" for the Magic Mouse. Mine goes through batteries like chewing gum, good batteries too: about one set every ten days. It's so bad that I just went and bought a corded mouse.

I think the biggest contributor to the power consumption must be the laser, since the keyboard is wireless and it doesn't have that issue. I've been meaning to go pick up a trackpad - I probably could have purchased one with all I've already spent on batteries by now.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
The battery percentage is always off with rechargeable batteries. Regular batteries operate at 1.5V, which is 100%, while NiMH cells operate at 1.2V where a reading of ~70% is fully charged. They'll stay most of the time around 50%, then drop really fast to 0% when they're empty.

HighVoltageLevel.jpg

Nevertheless, Panasonic (who acquired Sanyo) recently introduced a new generation of eneloops. The eneloop pros (aka eneloop XX) now also hold 90% of their charge for one year, which makes them suitable for the Magic Mouse.

A pair of those should make it work for about two or more month, and even though they're only rechargeable for 500 times, they should last 125 years when used in a Magic Mouse.

The only problem is that you can't buy them outside of Japan yet (technically, you can get four of them for $33 shipped from Japan on eBay), but the regular eneloops hold up pretty well in the Magic Mouse, too - and you can actually buy them in the US.

Last edited:

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
or a magic charger from Mobee ,which you just place the magic mouse onto the recharging base station while not in use and let recharge away.

Wow that Magic Charger on Mobee site is price heavy at $149.90 but on Apple site it is $39.95 it does have to be connected to usb and I would rather have it on a wall wart, usb powered means if the computer is off so is it's ability to charge the mouse. Guess that's a given, but some do turn off computer at night.

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
I noticed on several places that were writing about the charger for the magic mouse that you have to turn off the mouse each time before setting it on the chargers surface, or it does not charge. Another complaint was that it does not stay charge very long, the charge reading drops quickly and is not accurate. I don't have one, but had an interest in checking out reviews, which can be both pos/neg.

Wonder how long the batteries in the Magic Mouse last if I turn it off each time I stop using it. My batteries only lasted 6 weeks, then went dead !

1934hotrod

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2013
Woodstock
That is the down side of bluetooth, stinking batteries. Sure I know there is no other way, maybe nuclear :eek: for the future, but at this time in space nix the bluetooth keyboards, & mieces not a fan at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.