Magic mouse is not so magic

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by smartjx, Nov 9, 2009.

1. smartjx macrumors newbie

Returned the magic mouse to local apple store.

Can't live without middle button.

Hope Apple can feel little pressure. :mad:

Attached Files:

• Mm_1.jpg
      Mm_1.jpg
      File size:
      725.3 KB
      Views:
  2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

I hate to tell you but there is already an app/tool that allows you to use a 3 finger tap as a middle click on the Magic Mouse.

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Do you have a link or know what the app is called?

5. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

Here you go. BetterTouchTool Works with Magic Mouse and Multi-Touch trackpads.

You might wanna check out this thread as well to get more info about the app. The app isn't mentioned until the bottom of the first page. The app at the top of the first page is hit and miss on working.

6. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

I can't help but laugh now reading the original post.

Not only that, but 3 finger swipes are coming, and 4-finger swipes are getting perfected as we speak. :)

7. reyno2ac macrumors newbie

reyno2ac

Don't feel bad, I returned mine too. I just couldn't get used to my hand not being supported while it was on the mouse. I did love everything else about it though.

8. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

Yeah but software can't fix your problem. Whereas had the OP looked on here he would have seen that there are a couple of threads linking the app/tool that allows 3 finger tap middle clicks, and probably wouldn't have felt the need to return his Magic Mouse.

9. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

The 3-finger tap is working, but I can't get it associated with Spaces or Expose.

edit... nm, got it working. The configuration took a bit to figure out. The explanation on the BetterTouch site didn't register with my brain right away.

1) Unassociate the F# key from Spaces or Expose in Sys Prefs

2) Click on "Global" in the BetterTouch app

3) Select the gesture (e.g. three finger tap)

4) Select the key command (e.g. F6)

5) Go back to Sys Prefs and re-associate the F# key with Spaces or Expose

You should be good to go.

10. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

lol 3 finger tap to do a middle click??? yah no thanks.

11. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

Just to be sure you are using BetterTouchTool, right? If so are you trying to use it with Magic Mouse or trackpad?

Any If you are using it with Magic Mouse when you go to System Preferences>Exposé/Spaces>Exposé tab, you should get an option that looks like the one in my screenshot.

Attached Files:

12. miki66 macrumors 6502

miki66

that's exactly what i've noticed!!!!!jealous:(

13. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

That's Virginia. 4% state, 1% local.

14. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

Yeah my tax in northern Louisiana is 10%!!!

15. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Quebec, 16% tax ;)

OP should not be told he needs to use third party software to do what the mouse should have been able to do in the first place.

16. smartjx thread starter macrumors newbie

The middle button should be build-in function.

And,magic mouse should be magic ,do much more than mighty mouse .

If you guys have magic mouse ,and waiting for the middle button or other guesture control.Stop waiting ,just return it . I believe all of you are in 14 days return period .

After 10.6.2 update, I am 100% sure apple will take one year to add middle button.It's reminds me of the copy & paste on my iphone.

Hope we can get real magic mouse one year later . :mad:

17. smartjx thread starter macrumors newbie

The middle button should be build-in function.

And,magic mouse should be magic ,do much more than mighty mouse .

If you guys have magic mouse ,and waiting for the middle button or other guesture control.Stop waiting ,just return it . I believe all of you are in 14 days return period .

After 10.6.2 update, I am 100% sure apple will take one year to add middle button.It's reminds me of the copy & paste on my iphone.

Hope we can get real magic mouse one year later . :mad:

18. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Having come from Windows, I'm used to using 3rd party apps to get all the functionality I desire. I'm not going to martyr my Magic Mouse over such a trivial issue.

19. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

0% here :eek:

20. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

well that better touch tool doesnt replace the middle mouse button. Its a tap for the middle mouse button, its far from what I´m looking for. I´m looking for the ability to hold down middle mouse button, so I can use the mouse with Maya. I think it´s ridiculous that this desnt excist...and why doesn´t apple atleast then make ahold button and keyboard key to emulate that, as they did with the right mouse button all those years they held that idea back.
    It´s such a weird company policy, to simply avoid things that are close to a standard these days.

21. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Oregon = 0% as well.

22. nigameash macrumors 6502

new brunswick 13.5%! :( i am going to get one soon!

23. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

I was just offering an option. I NEVER said he had or needed to use to use it. And according your logic the OP should be telling me to return my Magic Mouse in the quote below just because it doesn't please him. Some people don't have a problem with third-party software.

You can't guarantee it's gonna take a year. They could release it in 10.6.3 or Wireless Mouse Software Update 2.0. !0.6.2 fixed problems that needed to be resolved as soon as possible so maybe they didn't put any mouse features in it because they didn't want to delay the solution to many crucial problems in 10.6.0/1.

Just because I provide a solution doesn't mean y'all have to use it. If you don't like it you don't like it, but don't b*%ch at me saying that someone shouldn't have to use that software to do it. It's NOT MY FAULT that Apple didn't provide a middle click function, but I have found a software solution that is also extremely useful for things other than middle clicking. You can actually assign 2 finger swipes different functions for different programs. YOU CAN'T PLEASE EVERYONE!!!

24. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

25. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

jlpoore89, take it easy man!, read what you quote, I never ditched your software...-but it doesn´t give the magic mouse the ability that I feel is required for a standard mouse these days. It´s not your problem. and though you made a nice tool, I still can´t use the magic mouse with Autodesk Maya for example, because it requires you to hold middle mouse button while moving the mouse in many occasions. And since magic mouse can´t do that AND apple hasn´t been smart enough to have a keyboard shortcut for that hidden somewhere, it´s simply a mouse you cannot use in Maya (and same goes for many other 3d softwares + and some games I assume) - I just don´t understand how a company of 26.000 people, nobody react to this before they launch the product, it´s not like they oversaw a small bug or something.

but if this is a fact:....http://blog.boastr.net/?p=326
    then you are a f@*ing genius !!