Magic Mouse keeps disconnecting

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by X5-599, Jun 5, 2014.

1. X5-599, Jun 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014

X5-599 macrumors regular

My Magic Mouse (fairly new) keeps disconnecting on a not so regular basis. I'm still on Mountain Lion btw. Is there anything I can do to make the Bluetooth connection more stable?
    Also, when it got disconnected it doesn't automatically reconnect. I have to click several times to force a new connection (it seems). Kind of annoying.

I heard some people had issues like this and solved them by putting folded up paper along side the battery. To restrict possible movement of the batteries, I guess.
    But in my case the connection even gets lost when I don't move the mouse. Like when I click on an article, move the mouse to the lower right and it sits there for like 5 seconds... Diconnection alert pops up.

Has anyone had (and more importantly solved) similar issues?

2. Ifti macrumors 68000

Ive had this - I replaced my batteries and have been fine since.
    I use Duracall rechargeable batteries and noticed it would happen when I used 1700mAh batteries, but not when I use 2400mAh......

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Make sure the batteries are secure, I had this issue once and when I opened up the door to look at the batteries they nearly fell out. Reset them firmly and no problems.

4. X5-599 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, don't know what kind of batteries I use (mAh wise). I'll check this evening. They are definitely not rechargeable, though.

They are securely fitted into their housing. No wobbling etc. Like I said, it often disconnects when not moving the mouse at all. So the batteries "rocking around" in the mouse couldn't be the problem. Still, this evening I'll make sure they fit tightly.

Thanks to the both of you.

5. PixelpusherBV macrumors member

I've had the same problem with my work mouse, also disconnecting whilst not moving. I placed a small piece of paper under the cover & on top of the batteries & haven't had the problem since.

Also, I've read that many batteries vary very slightly in length which affects a good contact, so try different batteries.

I'm sure one of these 'fixes' (or maybe both together) will solve the problem for you.