Magic Mouse Lost It's Magic

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thebeachbum, Jun 1, 2015.

1. thebeachbum macrumors newbie

thebeachbum

My Magic Mouse will not move the cursor. It will work when clicking left, right, etc. but it will not move the cursor. This is with new batteries. What am I missing for troubling shooting the issue?

Thanks for your responses

2. jks067 macrumors newbie

It sounds like the IR sensor or IR LED are bad. Sounds like you should just buy a new mouse, unless you have AppleCare on a machine that it came with or bought with it. In which case the mouse is covered under the computer's AppleCare coverage.

3. thebeachbum thread starter macrumors newbie

thebeachbum

After some thought, I remembered the four key trick from a tech guy at work. Four keys: Option - Command - R - P at boot up fixed the mouse issue. Have no idea what else it "fixed" but the magic is back.

4. jks067 macrumors newbie

5. thebeachbum thread starter macrumors newbie

thebeachbum

The reset just gave me hope but no permanent solution. I finally could not longer avoid the mall and went to the Apple Store while I was there. Note, I purchased my Mac Book Pro Retina from B&H Photo and purchased Apple Care with it. A few days after the Mac arrived, I purchased the Magic Mouse from the Apple Store. Today, I mentioned I had a Mac and explained the issues to the technician. A couple a minutes later she returned with a new mouse and apologized for the trouble I've had. She said she had to keep the new mouse box but if I had any future issues with the mouse bring it back and I could get another one. Really surprised. Did not think they would link the Apple Care to the mouse. Good day for me. Bought an extra lottery ticket.

6. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Hey, your tragic mouse not working is not always a bad thing. Now you have the excuse of getting a real mouse like Logitech or others :D