Magic Mouse: Love it and Hate it! Weird scrolling.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Rob.G, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Rob.G macrumors 6502

Rob.G

I have a Magic Mouse, which I LOVE. But one thing it does that drives me up a (expletive removed) wall is that it has a tendency, which varies, of scrolling, when I move the mouse rather than touching it with my finger.

I have tested this and made sure that my fingers are NOT touching the mouse surface when I move the mouse, yet when I move the mouse, the browser window I'm in will scroll the direction I move the mouse. Sometimes it's just a tiny bit, other times it's a lot. And it's not just browser windows. It's any scrollable window.

It's either a bug in the Magic Mouse hardware, or in the software. I say that because this is my second Magic Mouse. The previous one pissed me off so bad one day I slammed it on the floor. Note: these things don't take kindly to that -- it disintegrated. Oops.

Does anybody else see this problem? It has made using any of the online map programs nearly impossible (Google Maps, Bing Maps, etc) because most mouse movements make the stupid thing zoom in and out.

I'm on 10.6.3 fully updated.

Rob

2. wryta macrumors newbie

wryta

Just a thought - have you disabled the SIDE buttons on the mouse? They could be your problem is they are set to SCROLL or ZOOM and you are inadvertently squeezing them with your thumb/pinky (i.e. treating the mouse like a standard one- or two-button apple mouse).

3. kasakka macrumors 68000

wryta, the Magic Mouse doesn't have side buttons, you are thinking of the Mighty Mouse.

Anyway, I have experienced the scrolling problems in webapps like Google Maps that use the scroll wheel to zoom, it's very annoying but there's really nothing we can do but wait that Google etc come up with a way to make it work better.

Haven't noticed any scrolling problems anywhere else though. I do use the SteerMouse Magic Driver instead of Apple's drivers though.

4. dhandy macrumors newbie

Weird scrolling work around

I too have experienced the weird scrolling issue with the magic mouse. The situation occurs when you are in any scrolling enabled application and after clicking, you lift all your fingers off the surface and then move the mouse rapidly. The window will scroll in the direction of the mouse movement. This is especially frustrating when editing slides in power-point. The solution seems to be to turn of Scrolling with Momentum in the mouse system settings. I miss scrolling with momentum, but am willing to trade it for not having random scrolls and zooms. I believe this is a bug, as I can reproduce it on demand.

5. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Weird.. I have not experienced that issue... Maybe because I have used BTT since day one?

6. Rob.G thread starter macrumors 6502

Rob.G

I will have to try disabling the Scroll with Momentum feature.

Do you use MagicPrefs? I just started experimenting by disabling it, and the scroll problem seems to be almost nonexistent with it disabled. I haven't seen Google Maps "act up" since I disabled it. But when I turn it back on, the annoyance resumes.

Rob

7. shippouk macrumors regular

Hey all
    Does anyone know how on a Mac magic mouse to turn off left right scroll but not up down ?
    It so annoying when using a spreadsheet program as I seem to keep on moving the mouse left and right inadvertently.
    Turning off TWO FINGERS SWIPE LEFT/RIGHT TO NAVIGATE does not turn off this function
    Any advise?
    Thanks

8. HBOC macrumors 68020

^
    why not just turn off the scroll altogether?

9. shippouk macrumors regular

Hi
    I still want up and down scroll, but not left and right scroll.
    I dont know why anyone would want to scroll left and right.

Shippo