Magic Mouse, Mighty Mouse, or Other?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Luigi239, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

Yesterday, I went to the Apple Store, intent on buying a Magic Mouse. I went, then walked out empty handed because I wasn't thrilled on how the mouse fit in my hand. Maybe it's something i could get used to, but the fact that there are also only two buttons.

That got me thinking to getting a used Bluetooth Mighty Mouse. Are the ergonomics any better on that than the magic mouse? Is the scroll ball really a pain? Also, what are some other good options for Mac Bluetooh mice? I'm lost when it comes to searching for a good one.

Thanks.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i went through the exact same process op

was really wanting to like the magic mouse but after trying, it wasnt comfortable and the lack of buttons didnt help

4. chelsel macrumors 6502

got magic mouse in mail... probably sending it back

I normally use a wired Apple "mighty" Mouse.

I was considering the Wacom Bamboo touch because I wanted the gestures that I am familiar with from my MacBook Pro and the iPhone.. so I was very excited to hear about and order the Magic Mouse. When it finally came today, I turned on Bluetooth, paired the mouse, installed the software update and gave it a try...

Unfortunately, the lag on the mouse is unforgiveable. The Magic Mouse sputters along and is practically unusable for me. It makes my 2.93GHz 2009 Quad Core Mac Pro feel like a dinosaur. I'm sticking with my Apple "mighty" mouse for now and will probably try out the Wacom tablet. Hopefully Apple comes out with a wired version of this product.

5. maclook macrumors 65816

6. Luigi239 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just use it for school, and then iTunes, web browsing, Facebook, research, etc. Nothing real fancy, however I use Exposé often and would like to use spaces more in order to organize the multiple applications that I run at once. I know that I can use hot corners, but dedicated buttons are more convenient.

I did look into the Wacom Touch, but I really want to be completely wireless. Any thoughts on the wireless Mighty Mouse, or another Bluetooth mouse that could be recommended?

7. ventro macrumors 6502a

It is clear that since Apple is still manufacturing and selling Mighty mice, it realizes that the Magic mouse is not a replacement for the MiM. If you want power functions, spring for the mighty mouse. Eventually Apple will add features to the MaM and will discontinue the MiM.

8. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

If you want power functions, don't buy a Mighty Mouse. Any sensible power user would vouch that the MM is probably the worst choice in terms of overall functionality. Buy a MX Revolution, you will be much happier.

9. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Apple is making the "Apple Mouse" because they haven't made a wired magic mouse.

The reason for this is they are moving away from wired mice and keyboards.

I would expect the next Mac Pro to have BT as standard, and then in about a year or so, no wired keyboards/mice available.

10. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Get both. Test them. Return the one you don't like.

It's what I tend to do. Take advantage of return policies. You usually have 30 days to decide.

11. Aadhil macrumors regular

Yea I agree. It's best to test them in a home setting. Since you're typically standing in an apple store you won't get the true feel for the mouse than when you're sitting comfortably at home.

12. Zokim macrumors member

I love it because of the scrolling features, best scrolling I've used. But, the mouse is low and narrow, good thing I use a wrist rest on my mousepad or it would be uncomfortable.

Another thing to note is that I need to hold the mouse with my thumb and pinkie in order to scroll or my finger tips will drag the mouse.

I've gotten used to this, but other might get frustrated.

13. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

I hold it between my thumb and ring finger (the one just before the pinky), with my pinky resting on the mousing surface. Seems to encourage less actual hand movement, which I find more comfy.

So true. At the store you can't test for height or surface quality. The position in which you use your mouse at home, while sitting, the way you position your hand, etc., is unique.

Returning products isn't a big deal, either, as long as you keep the item in good condition, save the box and packaging as well as the receipt. At Best Buy, for instance, they simply ask you why you returned it. Any reason will do. I just tell them I didn't like it and why. In fact I sometimes go into a mini product review. ;)

14. ARK macrumors 6502