Magic Mouse: Nice toy or a good every day mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Alvi, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

I currently have an MX Revolution, i wonder if it is worth it to switch to the Magic Mouse, i already used the Mighty Mouse and i got sick of it after 2 weeks or so, will the same happen with the Magic Mouse?

2. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

depends if you like the features you can add to the magic mouse using better touch tool....i use my magic mouse everyday and iI use it with better touch tool because of the extra features it enables

3. Alvi thread starter macrumors 65816

Alvi

I think i'll check it out in an apple store for a few mins to see if it's worth it

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Depends on what u use the computer for. If you just surf the net, and do some light work on it, then the Magic would be okay.

5. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Granted I get access to these mice "free" for work purposes, but I immediately adopting using one at work and then at home as well. I absolutely love them. The button-less scroll is just fantastic.

6. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Apple mice are just horrible!
    I can't work with these damn things. They look really nice, but are absolutely not usable.
    Next and previous buttons are mandatory and the Mighty Mouse does not have those. The Mighty Mouse allows you to swipe with two fingers, which is completely rubbish. It's just uncomfortable.

Every time I got an Apple mouse with the computer, it goes right back in the package and gets replaced by a usable mouse, which is in my case the Microsoft IntelliPoint (comes with it's own drivers by the way to get rid of the ridiculous mouse acceleration of OS X).

7. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

I switched from an MX Revolution to a Magic Mouse.

I have pretty big hands, and I have no problem with the mouse size.

I like not losing a USB port to the MX's receiver.

I do miss the thumb buttons, but the swipes cover that for me nicely.

So, so far, I'm very happy with the switch.

8. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

the magic mouse is just fine for everyday use

9. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Count me in as another previous MX Rev user that likes the Magic Mouse. The smallness/flatness isn't uncomfortable once you get used to it (big difference from hand-molding mice like the MX, for sure) and I actually find myself wanting to swipe when using other mice with traditional back/forward buttons. :D The lack of a button to use for Exposé is a little annoying although if you really have to have it there's always BTT. I'm using BTT for a 3-finger middle click although it's a little cumbersome; I see why Apple didn't implement it. Not a deal breaker though. The touch scrolling alone is worth it. I find it pretty good for Photoshop, it tracks well compared to the always slightly awkward curve of the MX Rev using Steermouse or LCC.

10. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The Magic Mouse is the best mouse available. No more Mighty Mouse or Logitech for me!

11. Gordy macrumors 6502a

Another switcher from the MX rev. The Magic mouse is the best mouse I've ever used. I never thought I'd find something that was better than the scroll wheel on the rev, but I have.

Only thing I miss is the extra thumb buttons, but not too much.

PS This is the first apple mouse I'd not throw in the bin too. :)

12. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

If there's one thing Apple has been consistent with since the start, it's that no matter how great the computer, they WILL mind funk you with the mouse.

[​IMG]

I may consider a Magic Mouse but not until it has an Exposé gesture. Why is Apple holding out? It's multi-touch yet the trackpads on MacBook/Pro's are better -.-' Why you tease?

13. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Have been using the Magic Mouse as my everyday mouse, and it's fantastic.

BetterTouchTool is a *must* for anyone using the Magic Mouse.

14. partyBoy macrumors 68000

partyBoy

you have to buy the LOGITECH PERFORMANCE MX its much better than the magic mouse and it has more features(one touch search)..dont get me wrong im a big apple fan but their mouse kind of sucks

15. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I've been on the Magic Mouse for several weeks, and it's become my all-time favorite. True, it sometimes forgets that it's supposed to do the two-finger paging swipe and I have to log off and on again - that's annoying.

Ballistic scroll is very helpful for me.

The thing is, a mouse is a supremely personal thing. I'm giving my opinion but in truth I don't know why the OP would take it. He's the only one who can decide.

It sucks that at my near-by Apple store you can't really use the mouse -- they're tethered. And it sucks that they are still hard to find.

16. Alvi thread starter macrumors 65816

Alvi

Wow, than i guess i'll check it out!, many good review :)

17. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Do you think you could start over and re-explain, a bit slower, what you're trying to do and what didn't work for you originally? Would love to help, but I don't want to write a long explanation that answers something you're not asking :D.

18. uv23 macrumors 6502

Can you guys speak to right-clicking at all? I can't find a magic mouse to save my life locally, so am considering ordering one online. However, I remember having problems right clicking on the mighty mouse because I leave my index finger on the mouse when right clicking. So I'd have to get used to lifting it when I right click with my middle finger. Cheers.

19. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Still happens. I never hold my finger on the mouse I guess since I had to test it to prove it.

20. RichardI macrumors 6502a

RichardI

I have to come down on the Magic Mouse side. It is by far the best mouse I've ever used - great for every day. It will be even better when Apple tweaks the tracking speed a little. Just on another note, has anyone else found that it works better on a featureless surface? I have a mouse pad that my granddaughter gave me and the Magic Mouse did not work very well at all on it (it has a photo of P-47's and a field and sky background) - the tracking was jittery. I went to just my desktop (solid light grey) and it tracks great. Go figure. Anyway, I say it's a terrific everyday mouse.

Rich :cool:

21. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Very disappointed .... bought a few of them for our offices, no one here cares for them .... the software it comes with doesn't even run it properly ... you have to download 3rd party software to get the mouse speed to satisfactory.

Then .... there's the design over form thing again that Apple is sometimes known for. In this case the mouse is not comfortable for 'everyone' to hold on to, mainly do to it's very sharp edges.... , how hard is it to design smooth edges on an Apple mouse or notebook for that matter, a design flaw for sure...

You mentioned daily / frequent use the sharp edge on the mouse is enough to make most of my staff want to go back to their favorite mouse...

Long story short, two Apple mice sitting on my desk, wasted money and disappointed.

Mouse of choice here is the Logitec Anywhere mouse and I think many use a Logitec 470? (It's white and silver, matches Macs).

Last note USB connection (even though you loose the port) is MUCH more reliable ... bluetooth mice tend to be not as precise and jump/lag ... cuz they're bluetooth, (imo). :)

Hope that helps !

22. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The Mighty Mouse is second only to the Magic Mouse. Nothing from Logitech garbage cans can come close. I've gone through a few MX Revolution before I realize that Logitech didn't revolutionize that mouse, it revolutionized the crap build quality and the worst customer service ever.

I find myself trying to use gestures like on my uMBP, only to realize that no company has built in multi touch gestures into mice yet. Obviously, this was before the Magic Mouse was released.

23. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Thousands of users and an endless number of reviews say your opinion is not popular. The mighty mouse revolutionary? I think something revolutionary would make whatever task you're trying to accomplish easier and faster, not more awkward.

24. johnnj macrumors 6502a

Bingo. Some people hate the new mouse, other people love it. Neither are wrong.

I didn't like mine at first (coming from a RevMX), but I forced myself to use it and now I love it. I also replaced the MX I had at work with another MM. I think it's the best mouse I've ever used.

Try it in the store, if possible. If not, then buy one from somewhere that'll take it back if you don't like it. The only person that can tell you if it's the right mouse for you is you.

John

25. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Did you realize that we are speaking about the MAGIC mouse and NOT the Mighty Mouse ???

In my opinion the Magic Mouse is simply the best mouse ever used, but it requires a little time to get accustomed with