Magic Mouse Not Fully Recognized

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Kmax82, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Kmax82 macrumors newbie

2. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Did you setup the mouse via the bluetooth settings? if yes try logging out and back in. also make sure it's the only mouse that's connected to your mac.

3. Kmax82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I followed the support document to the letter.

I've tried restarting.
    Reinstalling the drivers.
    I have USBOverdrive on my system so I unsinstalled that.
    Created a new user account.
    Reset the PRAM.

I'm at a loss. I'm gonna try it now on my wife's machine so we'll see about that.

4. Kmax82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok.. it works fine on my wife's Macbook, so there's got to be something conflicting on my system. Ugh, this is the most trouble I've had with an Apple product in a long time.

I did an Archive & Install and still not working, so it's gotta be an app on my system.. I would guess. I hate to do a clean install to get a freaking mouse to work.. grrr..

5. infernohellion macrumors 6502

I am having the exactly the same problem as well. I have the logitech driver and USB overdrive installed as well though. Will see what I can do :(

6. berylium macrumors newbie

Exact same problem here. I've installed the (correct, supposedly) software on the following systems:

Mac Pro 4x2.66ghz w/ 10.5.8
    Mac Pro 8x2.8ghz w/ 10.6.1
    Mac Mini 2x1.66ghz w/ 10.6.1 Server

Only the Mac Mini worked properly. On the 10.5.8 machine, I paired the mouse before installing the software update thinking that might be what was needed to get the update to appear in "Software Update…".

On the Mac Mini I downloaded and installed the software first, restarted, and had no problems with the mouse.

On the 10.6.1 Mac Pro I installed the software first, like the Mini, but the software doesn't seem to have worked since I still get the regular mouse control panel in System Preferences.

It's very odd the way the mouse seems to pick and choose which machine to work on. The only thing I can imagine is that it's related to some system plugin or USB device I have installed. While not identical, both Mac Pro systems shared mostly the same setup and accessories. The Mac Mini, however, was a virgin install on a virgin system.

-berylium

7. infernohellion macrumors 6502

This sucks. Now it's like having a might mouse again :(

8. Kmax82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I guess it gives me a little comfort to know that it's not just me. Still not happy about this at all.

9. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Thats very weird, do you even have the new magic mouse icon in the system pref? After updating did you restart?

Attached Files:

10. infernohellion macrumors 6502

Yes... I can see the picture of the mouse in Sys Pref changes to the Magic Mouse. Even when it is looking for a bluetooth mouse, it is showing a huge picture of the magic mouse.

But once paired, the menu is the normal mouse menu. I am even thinking about completely reformat my machine just for the mouse. We'll see how free I am tonight :p

11. infernohellion macrumors 6502

Hi again,

Just here to tell you guys that I solved the problem by reinstalling Mac OS X helps (formatting everything). Hopefully Apple would release fix for this.

I suspect that it has something to do with Logitech mouse software or something. Might be some kind of conflict :S

12. Kmax82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, thanks for the heads up infernohellion.

My personal culprit was USB Overdrive. Had to use the uninstaller instead of just deleting the preference pane. After that, it's working.

I think it's the fact that USB Overdrive and other mouse utilities override the magic mouse's drivers that you install, so it's causing a conflict. USB Overdrive says he's working on supporting the Magic Mouse, so hopefully that'll come out soon.

Thanks for all the help!

13. berylium macrumors newbie

Like Kmax82 my conflict was USB Overdrive. After uninstalling USB Overdrive and restarting the Magic Mouse had full functionality.

Incidentally, if you have the same issue, the uninstaller for USB Overdrive is in Applications/Utilities. I downloaded the installer thinking the uninstaller may be included then had to hunt the USB Overdrive website looking for the uninstaller before finding it already on my machine.

-berylium

14. infernohellion macrumors 6502

I used the USB overdrive uninstaller but it says it has been uninstalled. :S

Anyway, now I am able to use that middle-click-less magic mouse and quite happy with it! Despite the fact that my machine is extremely clean w/o anything in it right now :(

15. Giantsfan1056 macrumors newbie

uninstalling usboverdrive fixed the issue, but my tracking speed is SO slow. what can give it some more speed?

16. Nyaree1 macrumors newbie

You are getting that window because you didn't install the Wireless Mouse Software Update 1.0 ! Install that and all will be fixed.

17. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*