Magic Mouse on PC running Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jamone13, Jul 15, 2010.

1. jamone13 macrumors regular

I was wanting to use my Magic Mouse at work on my PC that runs Windows 7 not bootcamp, but on a dell. I have it paring, and scrolling and everything works fine. The only thing is randomly every couple minutes it will freeze. My wired mouse will still move the courser but the Magic mouse doesn't After 5-20 seconds it will unfreeze and quickly preform all the movement that was done with it wile frozen. Anyone know of a fix?

2. Czicks macrumors member

I have been running into the same issue. The only solution I found was the uninstall the Apple drivers, and then disconnect / reconnect the magic mouse so Windows 7 picks up the default drivers.

The problem with this solution is the scrolling is disabled. So either you can have a gimped, but functional magic mouse, or you can deal with the issue for now. :(

3. Czicks macrumors member

For further clarification, these drivers do NOT solve the whole issue. It seems that only a superficial layer of drivers has been provided by Apple and no-one is looking for a full solution.

While the Apple drivers do add multi-touch support, this is pointless as it also makes the standard mouse functions almost unusable. Unless you are careful to place the correct combination of fingers on the mouse at all times, the cursor movements are jittery and frustrating.

I can reproduce this type of behavior simply by resting the edge of my palm on the mouse and attempting to move the cursor. The movement becomes erratic until I place my index and middle finger in the “right” spots.
    To further complicate things, it seems that if you do attempt to use the scroll features the mouse commands quickly become “overloaded” and the mouse cursor freezes for a few seconds and then spits out the commands as they were input.

What seems to be lacking are proper drivers to fine tune the device and prevent accidental input. Perhaps the Apple bluetooth drivers sorts this out on Mac hardware, but any Windows user will find themselves very disappointed.

4. lOUDsCREAMEr macrumors regular

lOUDsCREAMEr

update your bluetooth driver. 99.99% it's caused by buggy driver.

5. Czicks macrumors member

I already tried a full update of everything. The PC my office supplied is a new HP ProBook 4520. It has all the stock Windows 7 and drivers installed.

Regardless I tried a manual update for everything listed under Bluetooth in the Device Manager. Still same issues.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      10.5 KB
      Views:
  6. lOUDsCREAMEr macrumors regular

lOUDsCREAMEr

my sony vaio notebook with atheros chipset was having similar problem, problem resolved by updating the firmware/driver of the bluetooth chipset via VAIO care.

did u try another bluetooth mouse? or it it just the magic mouse having the problem?

7. Czicks macrumors member

I don't have any way to cross check as this is the only Bluetooth mouse I own.

I have tried to initiate a driver update via the HP tools but nothing is available.