Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad for Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hammie, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I currently use a Logitech Cordless Optical TrackMan with my Mac Mini. Worked great and I have always liked trackballs due to limited desk space required.

It has been acting up the last couple of days. New batteries will not help. Reconnecting to the base does not always help. It is just starting to get frustrating.

I do not use the Mac Mini very often. I got it originally as my iTunes "server" for my Apple TV. However, I have found it a great companion when doing research for work while I have my work computer doing other things.

I have experience with the MBP trackpad since I picked up a new 17" i7 MBP earlier this summer. I really like it a lot.

Well, to my question...

I have searched and have not found anything which directly compares the Magic Mouse to the Magic Trackpad. Has anyone done a side by side comparison to note which one is more accurate, easier to use, more configurable, etc.?

I am looking to get one soon, but want some opinions first.

Thanks!

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Well if you've got the limited desk space and you like the MBP trackpad, go for the Magic Trackpad, sounds like it's perfect for what you're after.

3. GreenHead macrumors newbie

I got my free trackpad in the mail the other day and haven't turned the magic mouse on since. Don't know if I will ever use the mouse again. I also have limited space and the trackpad is perfect, big but not too big.

4. macintel4me macrumors 6502

I bought the trackpad and then returned it after a few days of usage. I much prefer the Magic Mouse. The trackpad is great going from a laptop to desktop experience as the gestures are the same. However, it still has some of those annoying trackpad issues where the precision isn't as good as a mouse, clicking can unintentionally move the cursor (a real pain for graphics work) and the clicks get "stuck" every once in awhile. I'd say the trackpad is more consumer and the mouse is more professional, IMO.

5. Hammie thread starter macrumors 65816

Hammie

Thanks for all the feedback.

I decided to get the trackpad. My reasons were:

- I like the MBP trackpad experience
    - Tried a Magic Mouse at the Apple Store -- wasn't overly impressed
    - I have limited space in my setup and I would end up banging my hand too much
    - I will not be doing any profession work with this input device

I've been using it for about 2 hours or so and have not had any issues. I'm glad I decided to get it.

6. nexedzero macrumors regular

nexedzero

How did you get a free trackpad ?

7. GreenHead macrumors newbie

Apple screwed up my order and offered free stuff. Got $50 off the order one time I talked to them and another time she said she'd like to give me a free case for my ipod touch. I told her I didn't really need a case and she said how about a free trackpad.

I never got angry with them or anything, just had to call them a lot, guess it pays to be nice to cs.

Don't know if I ever would have paid the $70 for the trackpad since my computer came with the magic mouse. So I'm pretty glad I got it since I don't even use the mm anymore.

8. durhamj macrumors member

May not tie directly to this thread but i just had to share...

You know how they say Macs/OS-X "just plain works".
    Well I got my majic trackpad this week to go with my 24" iMac. I opened the box went right for the manual, followed the instructions word for word., but when it came the part about selecting the Trackpad icon in the System preferences pane, that's where things didn't work:confused:. You see I didn't have a Trackpad icon.
    Come to find out while talking to the Apple Care folks, You Have To Turn-On BlueTooth transceiver in the iMac, and the Trackpad, before doing the OS X Software Update. Silly me, but on the overhand, I think the the technical writer of the manual assumed us desktop users have the newer bluetooth wireless keyboard versus the hard wired key board as I do.

Over wise things are all good now...