Magic Mouse or Trackpad for MacBook?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JackDaRos, Jan 11, 2014.

1. JackDaRos macrumors newbie

Is the Magic Trackpad a viable alternative to the Magic Mouse on a MacBook Pro or that would be useless as there is a trackpad on the laptop already?

2. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

I'll use the included trackpad because they are great already. If I had the notebook connected to an external display like I do I recommend a microsoft mouse;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have used mighty mouse and magic mouse and from the point of view of ergonomics the microsoft mice are better. Try to visit a store where you can actually touch them. When I bought mine it was logitech all the way, but once I played with the microsoft explorer mini the built quality and size was an easy decision.

3. theluggage macrumors 68040

Well, it is larger than the built-in trackpad, and you can position it wherever you want.

I mostly use my MBP with an external monitor and keyboard (so having an external trackpad makes sense) and I find the Magic Trackpad great for general use (once you enable the three-finger drag option) but find I need a real mouse for games and graphics work.

Mice shape/sizes are a personal thing - I can't stand the Magic Mouse and would always go for a third-party one (probably Logitech or Microsoft).

4. JackDaRos thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thank you! I'll buy a Magic Mouse and see if it meets my needs. If not, I'll go for a Microsoft or Logitech mouse. :)

5. theluggage macrumors 68040

Have you used the Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic on a Mac? I handled one in a shop and I was tempted. I've never encountered a PC mouse that didn't work on a Mac but there's a first time for everything, and the MS site says Windows 7/8 only.

Currently I've got a Logitech Performance MX, which I would proclaim the Best. Mouse. Ever*. had not the right mouse button developed a 'stutter' after a few months of use - unfortunately searching the interwebs suggests this is a common problem.

(*for right handed people with relatively large hands)

6. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

I haven't use the Sculpt. I think all mice work on a Mac, and there's always software to cover other mouse buttons (SteerMouse) and interactions (OS X Hot Corners).

Long time ago I tried in a store the Logitech Performance MX and the Explorer Mini and decided on the Microsoft one. It was a switch from the original Mighty Mouse. My parents have the new Mighty Mouse and I can't stand it.

7. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i had the microsoft arc mouse (the last picture a couple posts up) that i used with my pc. when i switched to mac i thought i would need it but i have my settings so i can click by touching the trackpad with a finger and i will never need a mouse with this computer, except maybe when video editing.

8. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

MPB/External here..

Used a generic mice just with the macbook. That bit the dust and I moved on to the magic mouse. Man, at first I HATED the thing, took me a good 3-4 weeks of making myself use it to get the hang of it.

I have both the apple external track pad and mouse and I will use the mouse over the pad however I will also use the pad for certain gestures.

If i had to pick any one peripheral it would be the magic mouse.

9. trewyn15 macrumors 6502

I would recommend Microsoft mice as well, they have great ergonomics and work extremely well.