Magic Mouse problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by HeroBiX, May 4, 2010.

1. HeroBiX macrumors member

Hello guys!

I got problems with my magic mouse

1) first thing is that I can't scroll with it, think I never was possible to do so

2) next thing is that my friend borrowed it, re-named it (damn dude, WHY?!?!)
    and now I can't change the name back

I go to system pref -> Bluetooth -> Mark the Magic mouse -> press the icon beside the "-" and I dont have re-name

I have been looked for updates for both the mouse and bluetooth and what I can figure out, I am up to date

anyone got any ides of what is going on =)

thanks in advance

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Hi

Have you selected the setting within System Preferences > Mouse as the first picture?

If you highlight the cog icon there is an option to rename bluetooth devices. Go System Preferences > Bluetooth > highlight the mouse and click the cog (as the second picture).

Attached Files:

3. HeroBiX thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the fast reply

this is what I got

First one is at the system pref -> Mouse
    next one is system pref -> Bluetooth

nothing seems to be correct, I have recently repaired my disk permissions to hope it solve my problem, but it did not

Attached Files:

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

What happens if you click 'Set up Bluetooth Mouse' at the bottom of the first screen?

Are you using Leopard? Or Snow Leopard?

For the device name can you not select 'Update Device Name'.

5. HeroBiX thread starter macrumors member

it starts searching for a mouse, if I disconnect my mouse and then "Set up bluetooth Mouse" it finds it and gives me that configurations

Iam using Snow Leopard, 10.6.3

Nothing happens when I press it =(

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Taken from here.

Do you have any of these installed?

7. HeroBiX thread starter macrumors member

Non of them installed oO

if nothing works, I guess I get a really good reason to upgrade my HDD in my MacBook to an 500GB and get a fresh installation of Mac OS X

8. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I guess you could. It annoys me when problems occur that cant seem to be solved. I will keep thinking about what could be causing your problems, but a clean install should definitely fix your problems.

9. HeroBiX thread starter macrumors member

I agree, you just keep thinking "what is that problem causing my mouse to not work as it should" and you can't stop thinking of why it's happening

Can you somehow do a reset on the mouse? so it starts with the factory settings?

10. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Well normally I would say that you have to select the '-' icon on the second picture I attached, but I don't think this is actually uninstalling the mouse. Im out of ideas, Sorry! Hopefully someone else will 'chip' in with some pearls of wisdom.

Edit* Make sure to restart after removing the mouse from the bluetooth settings, and then pair it with your computer again.

11. HeroBiX thread starter macrumors member

my mouse accidentally connected to my friends computer so he change the name of the mouse

I was trying to disconnect it, restart and pair it again, still I can not change name on it myself

12. karmanghia62 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem. Select the mouse in the BT settings menu. click the settings "wheel" to the right of the "-" there you can change the units name. Worked for me.
    Good luck

SORRY! I didn't se that this solution already was posted...

13. katevtatum macrumors newbie

solution

I had the same problem. I ended up downloading a software update from apple (found here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL951) and after I did that I had the option to rename the mouse instead of the old option. I clicked rename and voila! It was renamed.