Magic Mouse question re Leopard 10.5.8

mac2x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
I ordered a Magic Mouse the other day for my MBP which runs Leopard. I'm aware that you have to get a mouse software update to use the Magic Mouse.

My question is that I currently have a usb Mighty Mouse that I like for certain things. Will I lose the functionality of the Mighty Mouse by installing the mouse software update?

Thanks!

fab10

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Once you install the update, as long as your magic mouse is off/disconnected you can always revert back to the mighty mouse.

I know this because I bought the magic, used it for a week and I don't like it. I use the mighty mouse. I have two mice on my desk!

mac2x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
Thank you, fab10! :) That's fantastic. I simply must have the side buttons of the Mighty Mouse for a couple apps I use, but for ordinary use I can't wait to get rid of the scroll ball (which is great if it's clean). :cool:

Figbash Acrobat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Alphaville
MouseWizard for MagicMouse

See below...
I highly recommend "MouseWizard" as an alternative add-on for the Magic Mouse if you're using a PowerPC Mac (on Leopard, in my case).

I've heard BetterTouchTool is good, but it requires an Intel Mac. The Developer at Samuco.net has been in touch with me through emails to continue to work on improving MouseWizard (w/Magic Mouse) for all systems. It has a basic, but nice GUI window for assigning gestures and further customizing the Magic Mouse's potential, which you can easily access from the menubar icon. Check it out, as this developer is very helpful and actually uses your feedback.

I mainly use MouseWizard for basics like Expose' and Spaces, but you can also assign gestures like 3 and 4 finger click/tap, middle click/tap to almost any process, app, or key-command. It also allows you to zoom Safari text/pages and even put your computer to sleep. I can now finally appreciate Magic Mouse's versatility. Thanks to Samuco...keep up the good work. It is $2.50 :rolleyes: after trial period, but worth it for us PPC users that can't upgrade to Snow Leopard. (Strongly endorse)

Oh, and trust me...if the incompetence of the Mighty Mouse scroll ball annoyed the hell out of you like it did me, then you'll reeeally like the Magic Mouse. It's smooth like butter. :D So far so good anyway. But that's just me.
Hope this helps.

mac2x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
Hey, that looks really cool! I'll probably try that once my Magic Mouse arrives. $2.50 is very reasonable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.