Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
I've been using this Mouse for years without any problem, it's clean, and the lenses are clean and dust free, but suddenly without any warning, it stopped pointing. I thought it was not working but after a while I realised that it will scroll and all the gestures work but it won't point. I've checked on the interwebs and only found normal solutions that do not pertain to this problem.

The only thing I could put this down to are dirty lenses but they aren't. Could it be that the electronics that control the infra red sensors have failed? Or could it be something really simple that I've missed. Needless to say it has new batteries and is pairing fine.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I get that every few months.
Here's what gets mine to work again.
Turn mouse power off.
Restart your Mac.
Wait till you get to the Desktop.
Switch mouse power on.
Click left mouse button.
You should get on-screen icon that your mouse is detected.
Can you now move the pointer?

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
No that didn't help. I've found it not to be working on another mac so it must be an internal wire to the pointer I guess, whatever, I think it's cactus.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
In case this helps anyone I got it working again. Even though it was not dusty or dirty, I got a can of compressed air and blew the bejeezus out of every possible ingress spot. This got the pointer working for about 20 seconds. Encouraged by this happy turn of events, I repeated the compressed air barrage and then wrapped the mouse in a tea towel and gave it a few whacks on all sides and then another compressed air job.

It's now working fine again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.