Magic mouse "Rough Surface"

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Amdixer, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Amdixer macrumors newbie

Hi all, i've been using my magic mouse for a few months now, and at the place where i put down my index finger on the magic mouse there is a rough area. You can also see the area if you hold it up against a light. For a week now I tought it was some stuff i could wipe off, but when i just tried to it wouldnt come off. So i think my index finger somehow "Sanded" the glass. The mouse works great, but yea, isn't THAT nice...

I live in the Netherlands, it came with my 21.5 inch imac (2009 edition).

Is there a way to replace it by going to a Macstore (we dont have official apple stores in the netherlands, only stores that sell apple stuff, but not specifically an apple store with a genius bar and stuff like that...

Will apple replace it for me? Altough it works fine i dont really like the fact that after only a few months it's scratched up so bad in just 1 spot...

Also i was wondering if i could use a household glass cleaner for cleaning it?

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I really doubt Apple will replace the mouse for a little scratch/rough spot. If it doesn't affect usage, they usually won't unless it's an outstanding case. The plastic does get scratched with use, but unless you're looking for the imperfections up close in the right lighting, you won't see them during normal usage.

3. Vladas macrumors newbie

If you will do it, you will scratch it even more, because magic's mouse surface is not glass, it's just plastic.

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I'm not sure what the surface is - plastic or glass. However, I'm sure your fingers cannot scratch the surface, whatever it is! Mine, over time, does pick up greasy deposits which can be removed with a clean cloth. If, as you say it isn't this, try polishing the surface with metal polish. This will "polish" the surface (providing it is plastic).

5. Amdixer thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks for the tips, i will try that, and vincensz its not that i see it instantly but i do feel it!