Magic Mouse--Safari Tab Switching?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iphoneCDN, Oct 31, 2009.

1. iphoneCDN macrumors member

Today before I bought my Magic Mouse, I tested one out at the Apple Store. This mouse was able to switch tabs within Safari on the 21.5" iMac in store by swiping two fingers left/right.

Now that I got my mouse setup on my 13" MBP (10.6 SL), I can't figure out how to recreate Safari tab switching by swiping two fingers. Anyone know how to enable this?

2. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

I tried that at the apple store earlier (really wishing it was possible) and it didn't work. Also looked in the settings and didn't see anything to set this up so not sure its possible. Although really curious how it was working at the store.

3. brasscat macrumors 6502

brasscat

Swiping two fingers is for "next" and "back" page navigation.

4. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Yeah I really wish you could change this to tab switching instead.

5. iphoneCDN thread starter macrumors member

Someone else on twitter has it working on their comp. I have no idea how to enable it!

6. scott523 macrumors 6502a

I hope there's a feature where you can swipe through tabs if your pointer is in the tab bar. Then normal scrolling when the pointer is on the web page.

7. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

See this thread about using MultiClutch with the Magic Mouse.

You can get MultiClutch (32-bit) here and use this guide to get it working in 64-bit apps on Snow Leopard (incl. Safari).

Configure 3-finger swipe to command+shift+[ and command+shift+] for Safari to make it switch tabs with a two-finger swipe on the Magic Mouse.

I haven't tried it, but that seems to be how people are getting it to work.

Edit: I just set it up and it works. Just assign 'swipe left' and 'swipe right'. Those are the only two that work with the Magic Mouse.

8. drnkusv macrumors newbie

I can also confirm that this method works. I really wish someone would figure out how to enable some additional gestures on the Magic Mouse other than swipe left and swipe right. It's a shame that all of those multitouch sensors are essentially going to waste.

9. mu104 macrumors newbie

more gestures

if you use macbook with multitouch support
    try http://www.supersorn.com/jitouch.
    You can change tab and open link in new tab using gestures but i don't know what happens when you try it with magic mouse.

10. sarabella macrumors newbie

I'm trying to use MultiClutch to set the magic mouse to switch tabs in Safari when I swipe left or right, but it doesn't work. Here's my configuration (there is nothing under Global):

[​IMG]

It works just fine when I use that combination on my keyboard. I also tried command + shift + ] (which also works on my keyboard), but that doesn't work either. What am I doing wrong?

11. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Try the same thing using BetterTouchTool, should work.

12. maclook macrumors 65816

It's great that you made this thread. I was wondering the same thing. I would find it far more useful to switch between my 3+ tabs than go back/forward. a simple press of the delete key will take me back and I hardly ever go forward

13. macspresso macrumors newbie

yes it does! For your trackpad AND for your MagicMouse together!
    Found the perfect adjustments. it has been working better than MagicPrefs for me.

using Safari 5.0.1 on 64-bit and BTT 0.6081 on a MacBookPro 4,1

three finger swipe safari tab switching on the trackpad
    two finger swipe safari tab switching on the magic mouse
    key combination you should know: left swipes; Ctrl Shift Tab, right swipes; Ctrl Tab.

Love it!