Magic Mouse Scrolling vs Performance Mouse MX Hyper-scrolling

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Prodo123, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Hi! I am thinking of buying a new mouse, and two amazing mice came to mind. The Magic Mouse, with a multi-touch glass top, and the Performance Mouse MX, which can track on a glass top. The Performance Mouse MX is the opposite of the Magic Mouse; it has ergonomics, buttons, scroll wheel, you name it. The Magic Mouse, in return, has a multi-touch top that supports inertial scrolling.
    This is where they overlap. Though Logitech technically don't call it "inertia-powered scrolling", hyper-scrolling is pretty much the same thing, except it goes on and on and on. This is included in the Performance Mouse MX. How does this compare to the Magic Mouse's touch-based scrolling?

2. rabol macrumors newbie

Hi

If you only use Apple developed applications then go for the Magic Mouse, it's cool.

But.... If you use something like MS Office for MAC, or connect to Windows servers (RDP or other means of connection) then stay away from Magic Mouse, it will drive you crazy!!!

It is simply to sensitive: Just hovering over the surface can make the App scroll for several seconds or it will scroll several pages.

I have seen that there is several 'add-ons' to modify the mouse, but why should I use extras to make the mouse work as expected ??

3. Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I know the issues with the Magic Mouse's surface. It looks like it could be really annoying. That's why I'm leaning towards the Performance Mouse MX. But, what I want to know is, how does Hyperscroll compare to Inertial Scroll?

4. rgarjr, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011

rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

The hyper scrolling on the PMX is not that great. When the mouse is new the wheel will spin freely for quite a long time. However after a while it wont do that maybe because of debris, dust, or worn partt inside of it. So you pretty much get that hyper scrolling feature for a few months and then u lose it.

If inertial scrolling is an important factor for you, then get the Magic Mouse.

Here is a thread about this:

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Mice-...el-stuck-sticky-slows-down-problem/m-p/113143

5. stiwi macrumors regular

I have both the PMX and Magic Mouse. I can't recommend either of them. PMX is huge, I don't have small hands but to be honest I never found that mouse comfortable enough. Beside, after just few months I started to have an issue with left click - it was causing double click (e.g. it often deleted two messages instead of one; dragging files / folder became painful). Sorry but for this price and such "high end" mouse from Logitech should never behave like that. Apparently it is a common issue:
    http://tinyurl.com/4azouex
    It is also a bit frustrating that you have to connect and charge this mouse every 2-3 days on heavy usage.

Magic Mouse is a great concept mouse but it doesn't allow you to set different gestures yet, pinch to zoom, tap for click and so on. It might be available in Lion but so far it is not. The most important thing though is that this mouse is simply too flat. It is hard to catch it properly & the right click doesn't always work as intended. Also the fact that most surface of this mouse is sensitive can be sometimes annoying.

My wife is using Anywhere Mouse MX mouse which is very good I would say. And if the hyper-scrolling is important for you I would recommend you this mouse over PMX.

It is also a big mystery for me why Anywhere MX can work few weeks on two AA batteries while PMX comes with rechargeable batteries which have to be charged every 2-3 days.

I have been using V470 for 3 years until it died one day - was very happy with it, worked 1 month on batteries but not hyper-scrolling.

Hope it helps.

6. Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Yes, I have decided not to get the Magic Mouse because it's too low and has no right click. However, now I'm stuck between the Performance Mouse MX and the Marathon Mouse M705. Both mice do not have left click problems, as it was with MX REVOLUTION. However, the M705 fits my hand better, but isn't rechargeable. The PMX is really tall and just feels a bit weird, but it has Darkfield and a charge port. Also, this is $80 at the cheap.

7. stiwi macrumors regular

PMX does have this problem. Check the link below (the previous one was not good indeed):
    http://tinyurl.com/46wu4cc
    Check here too.

Also my PMX is causing double click problem just after 3-4 months of using.

8. NbinHD macrumors 6502

I reckon the best combo is the Magic Trackpad and the MX Performance. The MX for when your at the desk for long periods of time and actually working, and then the track pad for when your just chilling.