Magic Mouse slows down Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nefa, Nov 5, 2011.

1. nefa macrumors member

I really love my MBA, but it has one very annoying issue:

When I'm using my Magic Mouse it slows down the WIFI - instead of my normal 22 Mbps I only get about 9-10 Mbps, 12 when I'm very lucky. I also have the wireless keyboard connected via Bluetooth, but it doesn't seem to affect the WIFI.

What I tested so far is:
    - Magic Mouse and Keyboard connected: slow speed
    - only Keyboard connected: normal speed
    - only Magic Mouse connected: slow speed
    - those two devices connected to a Macbook Pro: normal speed
    - Trackpad in a Genius Bar connected: slow speed

I've been to a Genius with this, but he also didn't really know how to help - he said that it's not the WIFI/Bluetooth card's fault since it also happened with his trackpad, so that's good I guess. What else we did was logging into the Guest Account on my MBA and try it (it showed normal speed with the trackpad connected), but I just tried to do the same with my mouse at home and it didn't change anything... The Genius also deleted the BT preferences files, but also no change.

I'm really out of ideas here what to do and how to fix it. Has anybody encountered similar problems? Do you think it's my Magic Mouse or my MBA that's faulty? Any chance exchanging the Magic Mouse would help?

2. Apple1000 macrumors newbie

Not sure whats wrong.

But my Magic Mouse does not effect the WI-FI on my 21.5" iMac :apple:

3. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Setup a new account and run the same tests just to make sure. If things work fine with this 2nd account, I'd just reinstall the OS if you want your main account fixed.

4. jamesr19 macrumors 6502

The first thing you should do is upgrade your WiFi hub - the MBA has wireless n..make use of it..the thing can handle 150mbps

5. nefa thread starter macrumors member

I tried that already - I set up a new account and it doesn't change anything...

6. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I've actually noticed this as well - switching to an N network resolved this issue. I guess because Bluetooth and G networks are both 2.4Ghz, there is chance for interference.

7. nefa thread starter macrumors member

Bumping this thread again.

I bought an N-wireless router now, but the problem still persists. Now instead of 3.3 MB/s I get 2.1 MB/s, which is really okay and I can live with that, but I would still prefer to use the full power of my internet...

Is there anyone with MBA and Magic Mouse who doesn't have this problem?

8. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Odd, I haven't had this issue...I've only had the connection issue with bluetooth being on.