Magic Mouse suggestions thread

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dwd3885, Oct 28, 2009.

1. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

I just thought I'd create a little thread so we can compile a list of possible improvements and suggestions to Apple for the Magic Mouse. Yes, it's a pretty good mouse, but the Magic Mouse is Ok. But why can't you tap-to-click? Why can't you use a three finger swipe to bring up expose? (akin to the 4-finger swipe on the MBP). Why can't you pinch or rotate a photo with two fingers?

Those seem like very reasonable suggestions to include on the 'multi-touch' mouse.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

2. NYR99 macrumors 6502a

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head.
    - Swipe for exposè/spaces
    - Tap to click
    - Pinch to zoom / twist to rotate

The best thing is, these can all be added via a quick software update. Hopefully Apple is listening!

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

I would love to see three finger click/tap for middle click.

4. ventro macrumors 6502a

Yup, we need some way to trigger Expose. Either 2 or 3 finger swipe down to show expose, and 2 or 3 finger swipe up to show desktop.

And yes, absolutely necessary is a 3 finger click for Mouse 3, aka Middle Click!!!

5. mercuryguy macrumors member

mercuryguy

just a contrarian view:

Apple should just forget the mouse and put a trackpad on the keyboard where the scroll buttons are located and forget the scroll buttons. The point is I move my hands too much between the keyboard and the mouse, it would be nice if the track pad is on the keyboard which will reduce the movement.

6. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

Why do you feel the need to threadcrap on all these Magic Mouse threads? There is a way to get your viewpoint across: start your own topic. As someone who has interest in the Magic Mouse, it is annoying to keep reading irrelevant complaints about mice in general.

This topic is not about whether there might be a better alternative to the mouse, but how the mouse can be made better.

7. rayward macrumors 68000

BINGO! There's nothing that a mouse can do that can't be achieved easily with a multi-touch trackpad. I hate keyboards without a number pad, so a full-sized keyboard, with a track pad between the qwerty keys and the number pad would be perfect.

Maybe even have it so that it clips onto either side of the keyboard using the USB port as a mount (not sure if this would be strong enough on its own though, so additional snaps might be required). That way it's good for lefties as well as righties, and could be used with the number pad-less keyboard that Apple is pushing these days.

Also, it would eliminate the problem of the mouse moving by itself if it's on a keyboard tray that's at an angle.

8. mercuryguy macrumors member

mercuryguy

rayward, maybe we should collaborate and launch this product ourselves ;)

9. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I wish Apple had used the texturized/rough glass surface of the MacBook Pro trackpad as the top of the Magic Mouse.

It's not difficult to do a two finger swipe to go forward/backward, but fingers would glide much more easily had the surface been like the trackpad instead of the current surface (fingers stick more).

Of course if they could've made it look aluminum (like the trackpad) that would've worked out well too. :)

10. G4R2 macrumors 6502a

I actually don't think it's ideal to have Expose/Spaces launched from a mouse button.

Instead, and what I'm hoping to see in a future version of OS X, is a motion tracking technology (as has been rumored previously) using iSight. This would likely be a better solution then multitouch using touch screens as a touchscreen on a desktop or laptop is both expensive and unergonomic.

I would see Expose or Spaces being launched by a flick of a finger or a hand gesture (Minority Report style).

11. justit macrumors 6502a

Tried it at the store, very nice but the 2 finger forward page, back page is difficult while still holding the mouse.
    This should have been a one-finger gesture. Hopefully future software will allow you to fix this.

EDIT: Brought it home. Hold the OPTION then you can use one-finger for backward-forward..... veeeery fast! A compromise but still welcome.

12. acurafan macrumors 6502a

tried out this mouse at the store, and ergonomics on this device sucks. it can't compare to my logitech vx450, how come apple still can't make a decent mouse? :confused:

13. rfrankl macrumors 6502

I played with it at the store, and think it is great. The original mouse I always thought sucked.

14. justit macrumors 6502a

duct tape + http://www.mobileairmouse.com/ + an ipod touch

15. chatoyer macrumors regular

absolutely needs tap to click. When using it, you can feel how natural it would be.

After using for about 30min, my hand is slightly cramped, but quite possibly because I need to get used to it.

16. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    I agree with almost everything you say.
    Magic mouse is a half hearted upgrade - but then again Apple
    never did get it right when it came to mice.

For me, the track pad on keyboard suggestion is golden!

cheers,
    P

17. softwaredevelop macrumors newbie

everyone happy with the sensitivity and tracking ?

I set the tracking to the max and it's ok

but otherwise like the Logitech in tracking

18. zen macrumors 68000

zen

What's the thing with tap to click? How do you click otherwise?

Like the Mighty Mouse, the Magic Mouse is useless to me as you can't left- and right-click at the same time, or click and hold both buttons. That makes it unusable for a lot of games and several apps as well.

19. oseven macrumors member

Does anyone else not get progressive scrolling on the magic mouse? I can only scroll as before...it doesn't keep going when i stop scrolling as shown in the demo videos. Is this a snow leopard feature as I'm unfortunately still in the dark ages of normal Leopard.
    Might have to think about upgrading if it only works in Snow Leopard...

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Expose: I already feel like I miss it. I had my middle button driven by Steermouse to invoke Expose and now I feel weird without it.

Tap to click: The feel of the mouse is too good to not feel compelled to want to just tap to click and not use the physical button (entire mouse) to click.

21. zvandiver macrumors member

Have you upgraded your mouse drivers? There is a version for Leopard.
    In new settings panel you can set scrolling for momentum (which keeps going) or no momentum (which stops when you stop).

22. niZmo macrumors newbie

Someone needs to make a program that has fully customizable gestures, that lets you set a program to open for certain swipes. Like for expose maybe an inward pinch would bring that up. Or maybe with two fingers on the mouse, if you swipe your right finger down then up, finder will open.This mouse is very capable of so many things. I can believe why apple didn't try to make it more customizable. If this mouse gets to be more customizable I will with out a doubt buy it.

23. oseven macrumors member

Never mind. Just read the small print on the apple website '* Momentum scrolling supported only on Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard.'

Looks like that's me another £25 down then lol. (I'm a student - I'm allowed to moan about such small sums of money. And yes I realise I just spend £50 on a mouse :p)

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Steermouse and I've e-mailed them.