Magic Mouse - uncomfortable or not?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kasakka, Jan 26, 2010.

1. kasakka macrumors 68000

My MS Intellimouse Explorer 4 decided to died a few days ago (and had to be replaced once before) so I'm looking for a new mouse for my Macbook Pro.

Since BetterTouchTool and other software can add things like middle click on the Apple Magic Mouse it has become more interesting to me since my initial reaction was the lack of buttons - 3 is the minimum for me.

However, due to its small size it seems like it would be very awkward to use extensively. I'm rather happy with the Logitech MX518 I have on my desktop PC but kinda like the somewhat smaller HP mouse I have at work.

So what is it? Is the Magic Mouse too small to be comfortable or is it actually in a more natural position for the hand than the mice we're used to?

2. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

I find it comfortable for very long work sessions.
    I don't hold it like I would a regular mouse with my hand laying on/over it. I hold it on its edge at about the middle point between my thumb and ring finger.

But I've read that others don't like it.

So I'd give one a try before you buy, if possible.

It took some getting used to -- maybe ~5 minutes, so try it out for at least that long. Ideally you could borrow one for an extended tryout.

Good luck.

3. kasakka thread starter macrumors 68000

I did try it briefly in a store, but this was in a standing position and nowhere even near the kind of position for my hand I'd normally have. Obviously no extended use either.

It felt kinda weird being used to bigger mice. I could see the idea being that big mice put your wrist in an upward position hence the low profile on the Magic Mouse, but having to hold it with two fingers did feel strange.

4. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

The magic mouse isn't that terrible you just have to get used to it, that's how it works with mouses, time ago i got used to a Netbook mouse which was really really tiny, it's just getting used to them and you'll love the magic mouse when you will get used to it

5. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

I wasn't thrilled in the store, but gave it a chance and bought it. Fantastic, would not give it up. Comfortable for me, the touch features as just right.

6. bkspero macrumors regular

OK, but others are better

IMHO there are lots of other, more comfortable mice (mouses??) available. The touch features of the MM are nice, but you can get equivalent functionality with a tilt-wheel, multi-button standard mouse. And some of the new tracking systems (like the MS blue light system) are superior, in my opinion, to the MM.

I hold the mouse much like the first responder, with my hand above the mouse grasping the sides with opposing fingers near the midpoint of the mouse. I find that it places my hand in an uncomfortable position with my wrist bent too far downward as a result of the need to keep my hand above the mouse to work the touch features. I use it for a home theater computer, so I'm not using it too heavily. So comfort isn't an issue (and it is attractive enough that my wife doesn't complain too much when I leave it out). But if I were using it for hours at a time, as I do with my mouse at work, I would be stay with a logitech or MS mouse. They can be had in all sorts of sizes.

7. kasakka thread starter macrumors 68000

So I got the Magic Mouse. Have had one and a half days to play with it and so far my hands are ok.

The main problems I've noticed is that compared to my previous wired mice it's a bit heavy (batteries and all) and noisy depending on the surface. I imagine that adding some teflon tape or something to the little black "bars" on the bottom would improve it's glideability a lot. Due to USB Overdrive not being updated yet I have to deal with the horrible mouse acceleration. Once it gets updated I'm sure the mouse becomes more pleasant to use.

BetterTouchTool works great with the Magic Mouse though, although I must admit that middle clicking (via single middle click in the center) is a bit difficult at times. Maybe it's just a question of learning to do it and setting the software correctly.

I primarily wanted a Bluetooth mouse so I have one less device to constantly plug in as I move between home and work with my MBP.

8. srexy macrumors 6502a

I use it on one of those old school style mouse pads (albeit a bit smaller than the really old school pads) where it isn't at all noisy and find it perfectly comfortable.