Magic Mouse update

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jnguyen4, Dec 21, 2009.

1. jnguyen4 macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

Hey everyone, when do you guys think that a new firmware update will be out for the Magic Mouse? I love it but the 2 finger swiping function has stopped working and I know many people also have the same problem. Do you guys think this will take a long time to be released?

edit: I have both magicpref v. 1.35 and BetterTouchTool v. .465 installed. My two finger swipe did not work for the longest time and yesterday I went into Magicpref and changed the tracking speed. I increased it a couple notches and now my swiping works.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. jnguyen4 thread starter macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

Oh gee thank you.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

whats wrong with your 2 finger swiping? I just bought mine a few days ago and works.

5. jnguyen4 thread starter macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

It just stopped working.

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Have you tried another program like BetterTouchTool to see if it works there? First I've heard of this. Is it widespread?

7. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

Me thinks it is the swiper and not the mouse.

8. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

9. jnguyen4 thread starter macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

If you can't answer my question then why bother posting?

10. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

First off, unless Steve Jobs is posting here, NOBODY can answer your question.

Second, in a not so subtle way, I gave you a hint to solving your problem. If 2 finger swipe used to work, and now all of a sudden it doesn't, your mouse either died (very unlikely), or it is something you (the swiper) did (very likely). Either way, a firmware update isn't going to solve your problem.

Reboot your computer, install BTT and see if you can get the swipe working again. Waiting on a firmware update is futile.

11. jnguyen4 thread starter macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

Thank you very much. I do have BTT installed but the 2 finger swipe does not work. Have you done a search about other people having this problem? Here, I'll link you. http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2211072&start=15&tstart=75 How can it be me? I have the same electrical current that is running through my body. I can't just forget how to swipe across my mouse. Rebooting still doesn't work. That's why I'm asking for some input. If this is beyond your expertise then I guess I asked the wrong forum.

12. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

What version of BTT are you running? The latest is .456 but there were some issues with recent versions. I'm running .446 without issues. One other thing you could try is to reset your settings in BTT. This won't do anything to your gestures.

Some good reading at http://blog.boastr.net/?cat=4

13. jnguyen4 thread starter macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

I am running .446 as well. Just reset everything and it didn't work. Not sure if I want .456 yet. It's not an official update yet.

14. theeaglehasland macrumors newbie

Magic Mouse Update

Unfortunately it keeps happening to me the only solution I have found is to download and reinstall the wireless mouse update from Apple. It must be a software bug.

15. jnguyen4 thread starter macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

Update for BetterTouchTool just came out and still same problem. No 2 finger swiping action. Any ideas?

Some people said to delete the preference file. Which preference file should i try?

16. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I'm able to fix my 2 finger swiping problem by logging out and back in again. This almost always works.

It's annoying. I'm still happy with the mouse, but I'm not happy with that part.

It seems quite clear that it's not the user who's at fault here, because we're not talking about an occasional swipe that doesn't work. This is a systemic problem of some kind.

17. jnguyen4 thread starter macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

Thanks. I haven't tried just a simple log out. I've restarted but it still does not work. Hopefully they release a software update to fix.

18. duncanapple macrumors 6502

19. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Nope, it's not just you - lots of discussion on this in Apple's forums. My MM swiping only works some of the time on my Mac Pro. Logging out and back and reinstalling the software helps sometimes. The strange thing is after a fresh reboot it tends not to work, but if it goes into standby and then wakes back up it usually works.

20. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

21. jnguyen4 thread starter macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

Yes it is turned on. I tried to assign it new functions using bettertouchtool and the function seems not to work either. Maybe something is physically wrong with all the MMs. Maybe Apple will recall them once they fix the problem.

22. red42 macrumors regular

I decided against the magic mouse, bought a mighty mouse, its crap. i'm going to sell it on eBay. I'm currently using and loving a microsoft intellimouse.

23. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

It's under warranty is it not? Have you tried speaking to Apple directly?

24. jnguyen4 thread starter macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

I have not spoke to Apple directly yet. I will give that a try after the holidays.

25. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

just call apple, they will send you a new one