Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Littlefields

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
So I just ordered a Macbook Pro 13" and it's actually my first ever Mac. Believe it or not, I haven't even used a Mac in the last 3 years. I was hoping to learn as I go with the trackpad. Basically, I'm walking blindly into this whole mouse-use dilemma here. What I need to know is: is the Magic Mouse worth getting?

I've heard from a few Mac users that the Magic Mouse is completely useless because the trackpad can hold it's own. From what I hear, the trackpad is already great and there really isn't a need for a mouse at all. From your experiences, is this true? I would hate to drop $50 on something that I will never end up using. I anticipate a lot of web surfing and occasional document typing, and that's pretty much what I'm going to do with the Macbook Pro.

keyofnight

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
Seattle, WA, USA.
…the trackpad can hold it's own.

I've found that most capacitive (not pressure sensitive) trackpads are pretty good. I've owned three Apple Laptops—White iBook, PowerBook 17", and Black MacBook—and I've never had the need for an external mouse.

I would just stick with it, and don't forget to learn the gestures from the mouse from the settings preferences.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
If you want to use it in clamshell mode, you'll need a mouse. If not, the trackpad might be just right for you. I've never felt trackpads were that comfortable for using all day though.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Even though Apple's touchpads are the best I've ever used I still prefer a mouse. I love the magic mouse. Combined with Better Touch Tool its great. I *gasp!* use it for Maya.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Not a huge magic mouse fan myself. Its proclivity towards scrolling when you have no intention to scroll gets old pretty quick, and makes it suck for gaming. I prefer the older mighty mouse, which is also less prone to collecting dust underneath, and also more forgiving to such things on a mousepad.

Re the trackpad, I find the new glass ones harder to use than the older ones with the button, but then again I'm used to the old one, still rocking an '08 15". I have had recent experience with people getting their first ever Macs ... all of them 13" MBPs lol ... and I would say from that that you might benefit from a mouse. But it doesn't need to be magic ... or revolutionary for that matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.