Magic Mouse vs Magic Trackpad

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by -BigMac-, Jun 18, 2014.

1. -BigMac- macrumors 6502a

-BigMac-

Hi Guys.

I would like to know which of those too do you prefer for professional work?
    Perhaps a reason or two explaining your choice :)

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think its personal preference.

I don't like trackpads so I use the magic mouse.

3. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

My personal preference is also the magic mouse (with MagicPrefs).

4. toxthexnines macrumors regular

toxthexnines

I have both, my Trackpad is attached to my wireless keyboard with a Magic Wand by Twelve South. I have the trackpad on the left of the keyboard and my magic mouse on the right. The trackpad comes in handy for zooming and such when editing photos.

5. omvs, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014

omvs macrumors 6502

None of the above? IMAO, 3rd part mouse > magic mouse >> magic trackpad.

The trackpad always seems I can't get the accuracy I want or the traversal speed. Most of my experience is on my rMBP15", though I have played with a coworkers magic trackpad when helping with his computer, and it generally frustrates me just as much.

I really like the scrolling support on the magic mouse, but the resolution just seems too dang low, especially when using 4k or multiple 27" displays -- haven't found a preferences setting I've been happy with. So most of the time I use a bluetooth or wired mouse -- the HP X4000b has been my favorite bluetooth mouse.

Another part of the problem is I really need a third button for work (X11), and while option-click works on the magic mouse, a real third button is more convenient. Trying to map the middle of the magic mouse to middle button just isn't reliable enough for me. So maybe I haven't given the magic mouse a fair enough shake.

I've also loaned one of my spare magic mouse to various coworkers, and it always comes back in a few days, so i'm not the only picky one. :)

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

It's all down to preference. I use neither although I do like the magic mouse for travel since it's so thin.

My software all requires three button mice anyway (3D software) so I use and like this mouse:

[​IMG]

7. fredr500 macrumors regular

I'll take the opposite position of the others. I prefer the Magic Trackpad. My desk is always cluttered and the trackpad solves 2 problems: I don't have to find the mouse (the trackpad stays in one place) and I don't have to find the room to move the mouse.

The only downside for me is that my wrist gets sore instead of my whole arm.

For fine work I pull out the Wacom tablet.

8. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

I use the Razer DeathAdder and the Trackpad. I think it's a good combo, the mouse moves really fast over two screens and the trackpad is good for trackpad stuff, zooming, gestures, etc.

I keep them both next to me, to the right of the keyboard and switch between the two pretty effortlessly.

9. sarthak macrumors 6502

Professional work: Neither.
    - The Magic Mouse ends up flicking around photos in Lightroom a lot.
    - The Magic Trackpad is extremely imprecise with finger movements.
    - Most often I use a Mighty Mouse but the same, scroll wheel tends to flick around photos accidentally.
    - The Microsoft Touch Mouse is almost as useless in pro-work.
    - Similarly, the Wedge Touch mouse is nothing beyond surfing on-the-go.

I prefer connected a G9x where I can change DPI settings on the fly and have a "clickly" scroll wheel for pro work. Any other mouse such as the SideWinder X5 or X8 would also work.