Magic mouse will no longer track on a surface it could before.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mustava, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Mustava macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    So recently and seemingly randomly, my magic mouse has stopped tracking on my desk surface. It moves but jaggedly and only slightly.

My desk has a semi shiny finish to it, and the magic mouse has always worked on it in the past.

The weird thing is if i put it on a black surface it tracks fine...

I have tried the following
    -Cleaning laser lens
    -Resetting pram etc
    -Resetting bluetooth settings
    -Different mac.

I am confused to what it could be?
    any ideas?

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

You say the mouse is not performing with another Mac. This proves the problem is with the mouse.

Does it work OK on a non-shiny surface?

Erratic tracking usually results from dirt or a trapped hair in the lenses. Make sure they are really clean. Examine them under a magnifying glass and puff out any dust with a "blower" (used to remove dust etc. from camera lenses) - do not use canned compressed air because it can eject moisture which can cause more harm than good!

3. Ingster macrumors 6502

Ingster

Sounds daft but have you tried new batteries? Low powered (partly depleted) batteries may struggle with the shiny surface as a stronger beam may be required to track well on that surface where on a darker bsurface it only requires a lower powered beam to track properly.

4. jamesalm macrumors newbie

Upon upgrading to mountain lion, my mouse was working fine. however my system was not, so I did a full format-reinstall, and THEN my magic mouse stopped tracking on my mousepad, which it had worked on since day one.

It still worked on my desk though, but I think I may have found a solution.

It doesn't make a lot of sense, but this is what I did.

I opened up sys prefs, went to mouse settings, and unchecked 'Smart zoom'
    I left scroll direction off and secondary click on, and miraculously it started tracking on my mousepad again. So maybe just try fooling with the mouse option toggles?

I dont know or understand why this could work, but it seems to have. give it a shot. And yes, I realize this is an old thread, but it's what comes up on google when you search for this problem. Hope it helps.