Magic Mouse won't gesture

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Saar, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Saar macrumors newbie

I was given a new iMac at work to replace my aging MBP so I went through the migration process bringing over all of my documents and apps. Both machines are running 10.7.2.

After it finished up I quickly noticed the new Magic Mouse doesn't perform any gestures. It's recognized in the bluetooth bar, points and clicks but that's about it. There are no options in system preferences to watch the gesture videos nor turn them on.

Any ideas how to fix this issue?

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Did you perform a software update after connecting your Magic Mouse? Do you have any other programs such as USB Overdrive installed and loaded?

3. Saar thread starter macrumors newbie

I did perform a software update after the migration finished. USB Overdrive was installed on the MBP but I deleted it and rebooted the iMac just to see if it was the culprit, which it doesn't appear to be unless there's a file remnant causing the issue.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

If your issue started after the migration to the new machine, I'd assume there was something that came over and disabled the mouse from working properly. I'm not sure if there are any remnants or how to remove them, or even if there may be another program that's causing this issue. Usually when people remove USB Overdrive it works.

The only other things I can suggest are an SMC/PRAM reset, deleting Bluetooth plist, and if all else fails, backup and reinstall. Sorry I can't help further.

5. Saar thread starter macrumors newbie

I kinda figured it would come down to that.

Thanks for the help!