Magic Mouse won't Scroll!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by emettsantucci, Mar 6, 2010.

1. emettsantucci macrumors member

emettsantucci

I just got a new 27" imac and it has been working great for the first month or so , and then when I installed USB overdrive the scrolling capabilities just totaly vanished. What sould I do?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Have you uninstalled USB Overdrive to see if the problem is still present?

3. emettsantucci thread starter macrumors member

emettsantucci

yes

yes, i uninstalled Usb overdrive and the magic mouse still dosn't work. I also tried forgetting the mouse and setting it up again.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Are the setting within System Preference> Mouse as attached?

Attached Files:

5. emettsantucci thread starter macrumors member

emettsantucci

no, they only show tracking speed, scrolling speed, double click speed, and the ability to change which side is the primary button. it used to look like that.

6. MTShipp macrumors 6502a

Your description makes me think you have a Mighty Mouse, not a Magic Mouse. If true, then the Mighty Mouse is notorious for a ball that won't scroll. Grab a paper towel, turn the mouse upside down on your lap, and run the mouse back and forth several times against the paper towel to help soak up oils from your fingers that are on the ball. It should start working then, albeit for a short time before it starts it again.

7. emettsantucci thread starter macrumors member

emettsantucci

no

I have a magic mouse, but I know what you are talking about. I reinstalled usb overdrive, but it still dosn't scroll. Is there a way to reinstall the mouse drivers?

8. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I'm not sure how the Magic Mouse works exactly, but I would imagine that the device would be shown in the Bluetooth Preferences. I would delete the Magic Mouse from the list, then go into Mouse settings and try setting it up again.

9. Kalison macrumors member

Are you restarting when you install and uninstall? Because I had the same problem as you did when I installed USB Overdrive. I uninstalled it, but the problem persisted till I restarted.

10. jekaman macrumors newbie

Magic Mouse won't scroll

I have the same problem. I installed the magic mouse today and it will left and right click, but no scrolling at all! The window that opens when clicking the mouse under system preferences is the old one which does not show the updated wireless magic mouse options. Anyone else with ideas?

11. StD Trojan GTR macrumors newbie

Software Update!!!

your mac will need to be updated if if your scroll is not working on your MAGIC MOUSE. click top left apple > software update.
    it should say "wireless mouse update..."

:)

12. number1Tango macrumors newbie

this happened to me and i went to apple and they replaced it. then my replacement did the same thing. 3rd time was a charm for me, and i didn't buy the mouse it came with the computer, so go ask them and they will probably replace it.

13. naoseidenada macrumors newbie

I fixed de problem

This is what you have to do:
    1) Install USB OVERDRIVE (again)
    2) Go to de folder APLICATTIONS OR UTILLITIES (I DONT REMEMBER) and in one of these 2 folders you will find one with de description UNINSTALL USB OVERDRIVE.
    3) Do it and after that put the files MAGICPREFS to the garbage can.
    4) Initialize your mac.
    5) Install MAGICPREFS again.
    6) Thats it.. it will solve your problem.

Tell me if it doesnt work for you.

Andre Mesquita

14. matrixfreeck macrumors newbie

USB Overdrive

If you have ever installed usb overdrive and deleted it by selecting delete from preferences panel, you need to reinstall usb overdrive and find it in applications and select uninstall usb overdrive.
    works every time.
    cheers