Magic mouse worked on PC, now randomly doesnt

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by KTK1990, Aug 22, 2012.

1. KTK1990 macrumors 6502

I have had a Magic Mouse since about 5 months after launch. I used the bootcamp drivers to get it working on my HP laptop. It worked for a long time, I changed to a Dell XPS and after 7 months of working perfectly it now nolonger fully works.

I've even changed laptops and both systems displayed the same issue.

Magic Mouse will randomly either...
    1) Disconnect and not connect, sometimes for a while, sometimes after a power cycle. Sometimes rapidly clicking and moving it around gets it to connect again.

2) Stick and freeze, then go and move. Sometimes the mouse will be stuck and i'll move it and it will take it's sweet time to move eventually.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix my mouse? I did change mice (With my mac I got in august 2011) and it now has the same issue.
    The weird thing is, it worked perfectly fine until July/August.

2. madsci954 macrumors 68030

3. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

1) Check for updated drivers.
    2) Make sure it's not a software conflict (InDesign has caused some weird problems with my Wacom lately). If it only happens with a certain app, update or downgrade that app to see if the problem persists.
    3) Replace your batteries.
    4) Purchase a new mouse if the above doesn't resolve the issue.

4. KTK1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

I will check online later for updated drivers. But I did get mine from my Boot Camp disk last August.

It happens in everything, All apps and when no apps are running.
    3) Did that and did not fix
    4) Swapped mice and did not fix, and tried a new Magic Mouse.

5. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

That's weird. Can you disable the trackpad on the XPS when a mouse is connected? There might be a malfunction with the trackpad that is acting as a second input device at the same time causing the weird glitches.

If you've tried a different brand of mouse with the proper drivers installed, it seems like it would be hardware related and I'd call dell to get it checked out. If that's not the trackpad then perhaps your bluetooth card is going bad.

6. KTK1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

I will try that later, after classes.

I used a wired mouse for the past 2 weeks on Laptop 1. I had the system replaced by them and am on Laptop 2 now, brand new system and it is having the same issue.

I did try with the trackpad disabled sometime in the last 2 weeks, and it still happened. While making no changes (software or hardware, aside from the normal windows updates) it just randomly started to freak out.