Magic Mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by HolmanIsMac, Dec 7, 2009.

1. HolmanIsMac macrumors newbie

HolmanIsMac

Hey,
    I have heard alot about the magic mouse that is out, and heard that it is used just like a iphone navigation.
    Just wondering if anyone would suggest buying one, is it worth the money or should i just stick to the standard mouse pad supplied on my MBP?
    Cheers!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Really you could have searched but frankly the Magic Mouse is a worthless POS without using an add on called Better Touch Tool. With that, it is 100 times better than the iPhone.

Is it worth it? Yes only with a free add on that is easy to use.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

from what i have read is that the magic mouse is just for casual use. If you do some graphics, video editing, or some other work, then the mouse might not be it.

4. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

why is it worthless if there is a FREE application out there that does exactly what it is lacking?? Obviously the ability is there.. thats like saying that iphone is crap because it's not a GPS.. yet it CAN be with the use of a 3rd party app.

5. MTI macrumors 65816

Even before using Better Touch, I found the Magic Mouse to be better than Mighty Mouse. The weighted bottom makes it seem more stable and the finger tip scrolling, with momentum, is slick.

6. HolmanIsMac thread starter macrumors newbie

HolmanIsMac

The only thing that turns me off it is that it seems to be one of those things that is really fiddley when trying to perform more advanced tasks.. maybe thats me being fussy!

7. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

I have to say.. i have been using the new mouse for most of the day now and i LOVE It.. the fact that it is missing the ability to natively adjust the settings means nothing to me. I now have customized settings on my magic mouse and can use expose w.o hot spots and i'm happy.

The profile of the mouse creates a great angle for your wrist. Instead of being extremely high/tall, its VERY low which gives you wrist a more straightened and natural position when on the mouse. Not to mention you do not have to move your fingers independently as much. There is very little lifting your finger off of the surface

The movement of lifting your finger off of the surface (such as with clicking the scroll wheel) is a big strain on the tendons of your fingers because you are pulling up on them and holding them up while you scroll.. not to mention before your hand was starting at an already backwards position.

I do love it.. and i do graphic design work, website design and some video editing.. I have had NO problems

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Advance tasks? Such as?

I use a mouse as a mouse, a tablet as a tablet, and if I need a gaming mouse then I use a corded mouse.

9. lilo777 macrumors 603

Mighty Mouse? Really?

But does not any mouse feels good when compared to Mighty Mouse? ;)

10. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

+1. My thoughts exactly. Even the search part. ;)

11. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

maybe people (even those with tablets) still use a mouse for intricate point/path creation in programs like illustrator.

i much prefer the mouse for creating paths using the pen tool.. i use my tablet for more organic drawings.

However, i did not find that the magic mouse had any lack in the minute details of placing and editing points and paths

12. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

If you have an opportunity, I would suggest that you test the magic mouse in person. That is how I came to my decision.

13. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

MouseWizard for MagicMouse

I highly recommend "MouseWizard" as an alternative add-on for the Magic Mouse if you're using a PowerPC Mac (on Leopard, in my case).

I've heard BetterTouchTool is good, but it requires an Intel Mac. The Developer at Samuco.net has been in touch with me through emails to continue to work on improving MouseWizard (w/Magic Mouse) for all systems. It has a basic, but nice GUI window for assigning gestures and further customizing the Magic Mouse's potential, which you can easily access from the menubar icon. Check it out, as this developer is very helpful and actually uses your feedback.

I mainly use MouseWizard for basics like Expose' and Spaces, but you can also assign gestures like 3 and 4 finger click/tap, middle click/tap to almost any process, app, or key-command. It also allows you to zoom Safari text/pages and even put your computer to sleep. I can now finally appreciate Magic Mouse's versatility. Thanks to Samuco...keep up the good work. It is $2.50 :rolleyes: after trial period, but worth it for us PPC users that can't upgrade to Snow Leopard. (Strongly endorse)

Oh, and trust me...if the incompetence of the Mighty Mouse scroll ball annoyed the hell out of you like it did me, then you'll reeeally like the Magic Mouse. It's smooth like butter. :D So far so good anyway. But that's just me.
    Hope this helps.

14. HolmanIsMac thread starter macrumors newbie

HolmanIsMac

Yeah i guess your right.
    Ill look into buying one, and tell you how i found it.

15. RichardI macrumors 6502a

RichardI

Apple leads the pack again....

I would recommend it as well. I found it to be really kind of odd at first with the swiping (2 or 1 finger) but it really is intuitive or second nature once you get used to it. It would be really difficult for me to go back to a wheel or a ball now. I think it may need a much wider range of settings (tracking speed, etc.) and I think Apple will tweak that over time. I think it is far superior to any "normal" mouse already just as it is.

Rich :cool:

16. AndyCodez macrumors regular

I love it accept for playing games.. When I play wow i go back to my old Microsoft mouse. The unintended scrolling at times doesnt work to well with me for wow.

17. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

Just installed bettertouch tool and its great. I love how much I can customize this mouse now!!

It is a little sensitive, and you have to pick the gestures that you aren't likely to accidentally use when you are just tapping your finger or whatever.. but its awesome.

Now i have expose when I tap two fingers, spaces when i tap three, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE that I can open my mail program to check my mail on a three finger swipe

18. neilw macrumors regular

Just want to chime in that, indeed, Magic Mouse + BetterTouchTool = happiness. I just got a new iMac, and pledged to try out the Magic Mouse for a while to see if it could replace my trusty old Logitech MX-500. I liked it, but without access to Exposé I probably would have switched back to the Logitech. BTT gives me back all the functionality I want.

Well, except one thing: for some reason, there's no support for double-tap (any number of fingers). That would be a very efficient gesture for me, since it's easier (IMHO) to do than a multi-fingered swipe, and less likely to be done by accident than a single tap. I'd also like to be able to scroll with my index finger while my middle finger is on the mouse.

But the cool thing is that the mouse is like a blank slate; any amount of additional functionality can be added over time. Fundamentally, it's a pretty impressive design. Perhaps my only niggle on the hardware itself is that I find the button click to be a bit long and slow (mechanically speaking), though it has done a good job of avoiding inadvertent clicks.

Oh, and my 3 year-old daughter likes it because she thinks it looks like a frog. No, I don't necessarily understand that either. :p

19. mixitup2006 macrumors newbie

Mouse

Magic mouse experience:

Summary:

-Great for websurfing, using regular programs like Iphoto, Itunes.
    -Not great for gaming or graphic editing.
    -When I play WarCraft III I use another mouse, it seems that the reaction and movement is faster with another mouse. Since I have a Imac and I need to move around a lot, I need my cursor to be very sensitive.